Multiple Sclerosis Community
swollen tingling tongue and numb nose sign of ms??

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had a swollen tongue and facial tingling and numbness with ms.   I have other  paresthesias as well,had loads of tests done for ms all negative so far. symptoms may or may not be related to thyroid problems.  Just curious if this is a common symptom with ms or not.  I have had these symptoms for 7 months they have not gotten worse or better.  Still in the investigation stages of what these neuropathies are caused from.  very scary and very frustrating.

Hope someone can help.
LJ39
I'm sorry to hear about what you are going through.  Things involving the mouth and face can be so disturbing.   Is your tongue truly swollen?  Or is it slightly numb and so it "feels" enlarged?  If it has been swollen for 7 months I would worry more about some sort of "infiltrative" process (like lymphoma or tumor) have you seen an ENT?

Facial tingling is a very common presentation of MS, but paresthesia of the tongue would be less common.

Have you had MRIs?

Do you have thyroid disease?

Quix
Yes I have thyroid disease,and I have had a mri of head and spine.  normal results.  I think It is slightly tingly so maybe it feels enlarged,I am not sure.   It looks like I have teeth demarkations on side of tongue though. I guess it could be thyroid related.  I am really not sure.  Quix what about the numbness in my nose??

LJ39
Is it common with ms to have sensory symptoms all over for an extended period of time like myself 7 months that do not wax or wane and stay exactly the same every day.  Can an ms attack last for 7 straight months??  I was just curious,because I know with ms with the relapsing remitting kind you will have an attack or episode for either a few days, or months then usually a partial remission, or complete remission.  because this is my first ever experience having sensory disturbances,and there is no progression,would that make it less likely to be ms or just a different type of ms ? I know you have told me in the past that primary progressive shows many many lesions with mri,which I do not have,and I do not have any motor symptoms . One more question  a clinical isolated first attack ?? could it be something like that,and then slowly progress?? I do not know if you remember me but asked you a while back your opinion on my paresthesia symptoms ,I also have thyroid problems,and you thought ms was unlikely for me .  I guess I am still really concerned.  I have two little boy's and I worry about my future.
Dear LJ39
Im listening. I have just turned 46 and I have four children ranging from 10-22yrs. My symptoms started in November 2002 with Hypothyroid disease, then I had a very scary episode driving back from Sydney, where I had spacial awareness problembs, very anxious, couldnt speak at all (I was trying to talk to my partner at the time, trying to get him to wake up as it was New Years Day, and I was in trouble. Travelling on a freeway with cars zooming past going 110ks to my 80ks) I found myself talking in my head but could not get a word out,..some time passed about 1 1/2 hrs and I finally said his name and woke him up, then came the hard part, stopping the car, it took me about 1klm to pull the car up, and when i did and opened the door what relief, then I nearly fell into the traffic because I didnt realise I couldnt walk properly due to verligo like symptoms, i had to hold onto the car just so I could walk around to the passenger side, then while inside I had to hold onto the dash so I sort of knew where i was is (space), then i preceeded to vomitt, and I was so cold (freezing) and it was about 40 degrees outside, we finally stopped just south of New Castle at a huge eatery, Scott and the boys went inside and i stayed outside sitting on a pillow so i didnt burn my bum on the gutter while i was warming myself in the burning sun. Now last year 2010 June, I got sick, sicker than I have ever been, Now its January 2011 and still no diagnosis, slured speech, blured vision, muscle twitches and spasams, tingling in the middle of my back and burning numb like feelings on my quads of both legs, worse on my Left, I have also had numbness and tingling in my pinky and ring fingers on both hands, hyper sensative hearing, dizzy spells, muscle weakness, swollen tounge that is scalloped by teeth marks, breathing difficulties, problems with walking especially my Right leg (hip) and my left foot drops occasionally, pain in my left eye, migraines, face droop on my right side including mouth. the list goes on and on and on and i am so tired of it all, i just want to get better, i wish they knew what it is...I am being re tested for MS because I read a few articles regarding wrong MRI scans, my specialist didnt ask for MS protocol on my MRI scan which means that MS has NOT been ruled out properly, My first scan was done on a 1.5T machine, without contrast and with 10mm slices and only of my brain, MS protocol is 3T machine used, contrast of the brain and spine with no more than 3mm slices, I have been suffering for 6 months, I work when I can and dont when i cant, sometime my speech is so bad that i talk like i am drunk, like really, really badly drunk

I wish someone, somewhere can help me, I am interested in knowing what your diagnosis was,

Kind Regards TLG1541
Hi.  You might consider reposting what you have written in an entirely new post.  Use the NEW QUESTION button on this page.  More people will see and respond to your questions, which are similar to this one - but is is written by a poster more than 3 years ago.

Welcome and I am sure you will receive good feedback and ideas.

My tip of my tongue and upper front gums have slight numbness occasionally that comes and goes.   I could swear that my gums are swollen by touch - but they are not.  It just feels that way because of the numbness.  

What were your symptoms between 2002 and 2010?  Will this the first time you will have an MRI?