Multiple Sclerosis Community
tecfidera side effects
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

tecfidera side effects

Hello, is anyone that started on tecfidera gotten past the side effects that you can get when you first start? I am in my 3rd week and I am having horrible stomach pain. I so want this to work because I don't want to do shots anymore. I also never got past the flu like symptoms from the avonex. Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, barb
8 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
572651_tn?1333939396
Barb, I am NOT on tecfidera, but from everything I read it takes a good month-six weeks for your body to adjust.  The flushing and rash will stop and the stomahc/digestive problems should also subside.  If they don't be sure and let your doctor know.

I hear you about being off the injections - I hope this oral choice works for you.

-Laura
Blank
1040373_tn?1273691088
I started my 3rd week on Wednesday. I've had a couple God-awful days (stomach pain, multiple bathroom visits) but luckily today has been great. Just a little stomach pain for maybe 20 min but no diarrhea.

I had been taking pepto and tums but I just bought immodium because it was affecting my workday.

I talked to my nurse yesterday and she said at week 5 everything should stop. I'm going to keep on trucking because I have high hopes.

I really have felt better (stomach pain aside). I feel stronger, like I have more stamina which is awesome! I wish you good luck on this med. I hope it's as good as they claim it is!
Blank
I am having constipation with horrible stomach cramps. I didn't even take my morning dose because I was up all night in pain. I am glad that you are able to tolerate the side effects. I wish I could as well. I had such high hopes for this. Keep on going, you are in the home stretch of the 5 weeks. Keep me posted on how you are doing. Barb :)
Blank
1040373_tn?1273691088
Right now, I'm doing great! No diarrhea since Friday. Hang in there because I can really say that my side effects have gotten better. I hope yours go away asap!
Blank
4461995_tn?1357958708
To all of those on Tecfidera - I am so fortunate that I have had very few side effects from this.  Thank you God!!!

I hated Tysabri - UTIs every other month.  Was on Avonex for 14 years and also never completely got over the flu-like side effects.  Never could take the pre-mixed version. Way worse side effects with that.

So I hope that all get wonderful results from this new PILL.  Even if it takes a while to get used to.  Enough injections!!!!!!
Blank
OMG! This pill is kicking my butt. I am just at 3 weeks and haven't had a good night sleep in 5 days because of the stomach issues with this med. I have always been extremely sensitive to meds so maybe this is the case. I am missing my second day of work, which I haven't missed a day since I started 2 years ago. I called the neuro  and they said that there is really nothing they can do, and I would have to tough it out.
I just spoke to a pharmacist at the  speciality pharmacy and she said that not everybody can tolerate the higher dose after just one week of the lower dose. She is calling my neuro s office to recommend a change in dosing. Keeping me on the lower dose a bit longer then low dose in am and high dose in pm for a while, then to the higher dose 2x day. I tell ya, sometimes your pharmacist is the one to call. Thank God.
Will keep you all posted. Thanks for listening, sorry for rambling! barb
Blank
1040373_tn?1273691088
You were smart to call the pharmacist then! I have heard of people doing the 120mg dose for 2 weeks instead of 1. I wish you good luck! It's SO much better than a daily shot.
Blank
I started my 4th week of tecfidera yesterday and have not had many side effects.  I had flushing one time and it scared me because I thought I was having an allergic reation to the meds.  Yesterday was the first day that I had stomach cramps.

I will still take this med over the shots.  I did not realize how bad the shots were making me feel until after I had been off them for 1 week.  I was scared that this med would make me feel as bad as the shots did but thank god I was wrong.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank