tecfidera side effects
Hello, is anyone that started on tecfidera gotten past the side effects that you can get when you first start? I am in my 3rd week and I am having horrible stomach pain. I so want this to work because I don't want to do shots anymore. I also never got past the flu like symptoms from the avonex. Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, barb
Barb, I am NOT on tecfidera, but from everything I read it takes a good month-six weeks for your body to adjust.  The flushing and rash will stop and the stomahc/digestive problems should also subside.  If they don't be sure and let your doctor know.

I hear you about being off the injections - I hope this oral choice works for you.

-Laura
I started my 3rd week on Wednesday. I've had a couple God-awful days (stomach pain, multiple bathroom visits) but luckily today has been great. Just a little stomach pain for maybe 20 min but no diarrhea.

I had been taking pepto and tums but I just bought immodium because it was affecting my workday.

I talked to my nurse yesterday and she said at week 5 everything should stop. I'm going to keep on trucking because I have high hopes.

I really have felt better (stomach pain aside). I feel stronger, like I have more stamina which is awesome! I wish you good luck on this med. I hope it's as good as they claim it is!
I am having constipation with horrible stomach cramps. I didn't even take my morning dose because I was up all night in pain. I am glad that you are able to tolerate the side effects. I wish I could as well. I had such high hopes for this. Keep on going, you are in the home stretch of the 5 weeks. Keep me posted on how you are doing. Barb :)
Right now, I'm doing great! No diarrhea since Friday. Hang in there because I can really say that my side effects have gotten better. I hope yours go away asap!
To all of those on Tecfidera - I am so fortunate that I have had very few side effects from this.  Thank you God!!!

I hated Tysabri - UTIs every other month.  Was on Avonex for 14 years and also never completely got over the flu-like side effects.  Never could take the pre-mixed version. Way worse side effects with that.

So I hope that all get wonderful results from this new PILL.  Even if it takes a while to get used to.  Enough injections!!!!!!
OMG! This pill is kicking my butt. I am just at 3 weeks and haven't had a good night sleep in 5 days because of the stomach issues with this med. I have always been extremely sensitive to meds so maybe this is the case. I am missing my second day of work, which I haven't missed a day since I started 2 years ago. I called the neuro  and they said that there is really nothing they can do, and I would have to tough it out.
I just spoke to a pharmacist at the  speciality pharmacy and she said that not everybody can tolerate the higher dose after just one week of the lower dose. She is calling my neuro s office to recommend a change in dosing. Keeping me on the lower dose a bit longer then low dose in am and high dose in pm for a while, then to the higher dose 2x day. I tell ya, sometimes your pharmacist is the one to call. Thank God.
Will keep you all posted. Thanks for listening, sorry for rambling! barb
You were smart to call the pharmacist then! I have heard of people doing the 120mg dose for 2 weeks instead of 1. I wish you good luck! It's SO much better than a daily shot.
I started my 4th week of tecfidera yesterday and have not had many side effects.  I had flushing one time and it scared me because I thought I was having an allergic reation to the meds.  Yesterday was the first day that I had stomach cramps.

I will still take this med over the shots.  I did not realize how bad the shots were making me feel until after I had been off them for 1 week.  I was scared that this med would make me feel as bad as the shots did but thank god I was wrong.
I just got diagnosed never taking a daily med in my life. I'm worried.
New territory..
Any thoughts would be helpful.
Sorry to hear you've joined the club! This is a rather old thread. Feel free to start a new one if you like. I just don't want you to feel lost in the shuffle.

There are many MS disease modyfying drugs (DMDs) these days. I believe only the orals and a version of one of the injectables (Copaxone) are daily. All the others are every other day, weekly, monthly, twice yearly, etc depending on the medication itself.

The period just post-diagnosis is an overwhelming time for many of us as there is so much to learn and wrap your head around. Feel free vent, ask questions, and have a read through our Health Pages http://www.medhelp.org/tags/show/7687/Multiple-Sclerosis?section=health_pages