tested JC virus positive, is Tysabri out? Starting Tecfidera..
I was so crushed when I received my test results and discovered I was JC positive. My ms specialist wanted me to try Tysabri since my MS is so active.Is it worth the risk, is it out of the question? I didn't receive much feedback on how at risk I was, I've never been on MS meds before.
I signed up for Tecfidera before I learned there was a PML risk for that drug as well. I really need some guidance here!
Hi Hibbles,

I do know there are people who are JC positive who are on Tysabri. Is your CSF JC positive as well? That is being reported as a more sensitive indicator of the JC virus. The first 24 months are the safest when JC negative.

There is an alogirthm for the chances of contracting PML while on tysabri. I believe it is on the tysabri website among other places. I will see if I can find it for you and report back.

Best wishes at this stressful time,
Ren
Haven't made off this site to search for you but Kyle lists a new study here on the front page a few posts down:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/New-Tysabri-PML-Screening-Study/show/1957547
Anther thing that works in your (Tysabri's) favor is that you have never been on any other DMD's. Previous use of immuno-suppressants/modulators increases the PML risk.

I've had 20 Tysabri infusions. 6 months ago my blood test came back JCV+. It had been JCV-. My CSF was still negative and we continued Tysabri. It is the only DMD I have ever taken. I'm seeing my neuro at the end of the month and we are going to discuss switching to Tecfidera.

JCV+ is only one of the risk factors. You need to have at least one other. Even if you have all 3, the chances of developing PML are about 1.1%

Here is some info from the FDA's website. (http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm288186.htm)

The risks and benefits of continuing treatment with Tysabri should be carefully considered in patients who are found to be anti-JCV antibody positive and have one or more of the other known risk factors for PML. Patients with all three known risk factors have an estimated risk of PML of 11/1,000 users.

The risk factors are:

The presence of anti-JCV antibodies.

Longer duration of Tysabri treatment, especially beyond 2 years.

Prior treatment with an immunosuppressant medication (e.g., mitoxantrone, azathioprine, methotrexate, cyclophosphamide, or mycophenolate mofetil).  
I was JC+ before I even started Tysabri and am about one and a half years into it now, still taking it..............I talked to the Tysabri regional rep about it and they still feel our chances of PML are very low.
Interesting,
I have been on for two years, recent test proved I converted to positive.
My local Neuro won't cont to prescribe it, but I have a university doc who will.
Are you still on Tysabri? If so, how many doses have you had?
Jennifer