Multiple Sclerosis Community
tingling tongue

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

tingling tongue

Another question guys.........

Does anyone with ms have a tingling  tongue/mouth?
My tongue and mouth have been burning on and off and tingling for about a year now.
The tingling moves around my tongue, the tip, then it will tingle in the middle, then the back....
I sometimes feel like I have a mouthfull of Vix vapour rub.
Its very annoying. And sometimes I feel like I have burnt my tongue (like when you have a sip of hot coffee)
Also I have had vertigo constant for 3 years now, very annoying, does anyone else have this.
I feel like I have water in my ears some days, especially when I tilt my head to the side.

I'm going back to neuro at end of year........... But so far all my mri's and L.P. have been clear.
He even said he can't diagnose me with clear tests, but believes I have ms.....

Any thoughts...
I have hyper sensitive tongue. but nothing like what you have described.

Coffee i used to drink fine, feels like it is burning my tongue & Ice cream makes my tongue feel like it's been in the freezer.  but I do know i used to tolerate those before I had the symptoms, so I deal with them mentally even tho it still burns.
Seems you are not the only one with this symptom. I found an old thread where this is discussed. Hopefully it will shed some light on the issue. It is considered a paraesthia.
Below is the link:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/Tongue-Pain/show/1114336

You need to inform your neuro of this symptom before the end of the year so it is documented and can help with your dx.

Hope this helps,
Ren
Hi Melissa
I have had tingling tongue/numb tongue off and on since my first symptom. It comes and goes. The tip of my tongue was tingly just the other day.

I have balance problems and had vertigo. The steroid IV fixed the vertigo, but my trouble walking straight stays. Unfortunately, these weird feelings are probably MS related. I tend to blame every new feeling on MS. lol

I hope you get a diagnosos soon.
Hi Melissa,  I experience symptoms in my mouth too.  

The skin/lining of my mouth is very fragile and breaks down very easily even though I don't eat hard or sharp foods.

My tongue also becomes numb in the sense that I can't taste my food.  

I also have a metallic taste in my mouth at times.  

These symptoms will appear and occur together off and on for weeks,  then will subside.  very strange
I have the burning sensation on my tongue too.  Most of the time.  And it also gets numb.I have trouble tasting food sometimes, that seems to come and go.  I also have what I would call fullness in my ears at times and dizziness.  And a host of other things.    
I like the vicks vapr rub description.  I usually say it's the icy hot bengay feeling.

Just because your tests are clear now they could become "not clear".
Have you been dx with ms at all???
Yeah, I was told benign ms by one neurologist.  Then sent to an ms specialist and he said 9 was the magic number of lesions.  I had four when I first started this little journey, then seven, and the latest mri was seven with one tripling in size in the brain.  Sooo, thats where I sit right now.    
i don't recall a burnt feeling but certainly the sensation of not being able to taste, like i'm swallowing my tongue and usually i sense i cann't speak quite right when this happens.

this one of the first group of neuro sensations i began to have along with balance issues right after the CNS infection along with o-bands in 1986.

i didn't know there was a magic number of lesions for ms? everyone one in my ms support groups is quite unique withe their particular symptoms, number of lesions and just where the lesions are .... not to mention the lesions not seen.

i think Dr Q would have to expond on this lesion number thing
Hi - In late March I first experienced this symptom, as though I had just burnt my tongue on hot food.  It first happened while eating at a seafood establishment and I thought initially that I was having an new onset anaphylactic reaction.While this symptom comes and goes with no regularity and does not appear often, it is one of the symptoms that I will discuss with my neuro in a few weeks.  
Hi there,
tongue tingling can also occur with migraines, it is a very common symptom with migraines, I am not saying this is what your problem is but it should also be considered.

Cheers,
Udkas.
Hi Melissa, all of this can be annoying at times.  Just wanted to mention that I am dizzy  24/7 to varying degrees for 7 yrs now...but I am used to it now,  IT sometimes gets bad enough and i fall a lot, but its usually when I am sick or just not feeling well.

Sounds like you are still waiting for a dx, thats not fun..

I have had numb tongue, long before my dx, but i also had other numb things going on... I wish I had known sooner and I would have had started this process earlier.  Actually, a dr told me 6yrs ago he was sure I had MS....long story..

hugs, meg
I have the same symptoms.  It started 2 months ago with vertigo and then the tingling tongue started too. I looked on the internet vertigo and tingling tongue together, and its answer was vitamin b12 deficiency.  I started yesterday taking a vitamin b-12 and today I'm not experience any tingling but I do still have vertigo.  I'm thinking its all related to menopause because I'm having all kinds of other menopause symptoms.  I'm wondering if its all related.  I'm tempted to just go on estrigen now.  I'm 48 years old so I'm at the age for it.   Good luck.
Wow, it's good to read that my daughter is not the only one with a tingling tongue and lip.  Ever her nose has gone numb.  Also tingling in her fingertips/toes and severe headaches since age 8.  She is now 15.  We were looking at surgery but the NS did not recommend for it since there doesn't appear to be a constriction of the CSF.  But she does have 8 mm herniation.   Very frustrating as we are afraid symptoms will progress without a surgery.