Multiple Sclerosis Community
trouble opening mouth wide

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

trouble opening mouth wide

Hello friends:
Has anyone eperienced pain when opening  theri mouth wide, making it difficult to eat (one side), so difficult that you have to push food in with a hand?  This makes it hard to eat and you even drool?
Any advice?
clark5
I have not had that problem, but wanted to let you know I have seen your question.  I vaguely remember reading somewhere about problems with jaws, but I don't remember where or even if this had something to do with MS or something different.  Perhaps someone else out there will have some answers for you.  Lulu
Hi Clark5,

This has been discussed here more than once, as others have had this problem.  Go up to "search this community" and type in "jaw", there are 10 posts on this subject.

I'm sure others who have had this problem will pop in here with suggestions.

Take care,
doni
I came across something in my research about ms patients may get trigeminal nerve pain. It can produce severe pain in the face and jaw and is often confused w/ dental pain.
about 2 yrs ago I woke up w/ severe r jaw pain. My dentist said I needed  a root canal but when I went to the endodontist he did all kinds of tests and couldnt find anything wrong w/ the tooth. Its never bothered me since.

Hope you feel better
Robin
I've had spasticity in my jaw muscles, making the movement painful.  It's never been bad enough that I couldn't open  my mouth, though.
You may have TMJ disorder. That stands for tempomandibular joint (if I remember correctly). It means the hinges that allow your jaw to open. The hinges are right next to your ears. If you touch or manipulate the bad side, does it hurt there? Your dentist can confirm whether or not you have this disorder.

It's not usually part of MS, but it can be. I had a lot of trouble there for several months in '06, but it finally abated and has not retuned.

ess