Multiple Sclerosis Community
tugging sensation - is it Lhermittes?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

tugging sensation - is it Lhermittes?

I have had Lhermitte's Sign off and on since about June 2006.  The last few days I have noticed a change in the sensation when I bend my neck forward.  It is not the usual zapping/buzzing feeling, but now it is a distinct tugging feeling.  It feels more like muscles tugging that nerves short circuiting.  I get in simultaneously in a distinct spot on the tops of both feet.  

Since it is triggered by neck flexion I assume this is another variation of Lhermitte's.  I haven't come across this particular sensation in anything I've read.

Has anyone experienced something similar?  This is no big deal.  I'm just curious.

db1
I have had L'Hermittes many times over the course of the last 13 years.  It's a tingling and buzzing that goes down my spine when I bend my head forward.  It has never gone as far as my feet.  It may be that other's feel L'Hermittes differently that I do.  I was told that it was caused by the lesion that is in my spine.

But I have never heard of it going clear down into the feet?  Maybe others can give you some more insight.

Many Blessings,
Heather
I also have llermettes and have spoken with others that DO have it go all the way down to their feet.  My neuro even asked me that question too.  Mine personally is localized to my upper thorasic area on the right side.  The people I've spoken with that have it go to their feet state that it's still an electrical sensation though.  GOOD LUCK!

cz
What would cause electrical jolts along the left side my spine, but not specifically when tipping my head forward?

I seem to get them lately if I turn my head to the left, as in checking my blind spot to make a lane change while driving. It's not every single instance of turning my head, but it is occurring more and more often. To get it while driving, yikes.

Are there variations on L'Hermittes? I did feel new jolts in my feet this AM, when I bent my head down to blow-dry my hair. So bending in half is one thing, tipping the head is another.

I haven't yet had a t-spine MRI, would something in that area of the spine explain these jolts?

Suzanne
I was told that this symptom was caused by the lesion on my cervical spine.  I'm not sure whether what you experience when turning your head to the left is Lhermitte's, but it sounds like it certainly could be a variation of it.  Most of the literature I've read attributes Lhermitte's to c-spine lesions only; however occasionally I come across references to possible thoracic spine involvement as well.

Apparently calling this a 'sign' is a misnomer, since it is only perceived by the patient and cannot be objectively observed and measured by a physician.  So it is really a symptom, not a sign.  

db1
Does anyone have the sensation of lhermitte's actually inside their head?  Almost like a zzzt from one side of the head to the other?