Multiple Sclerosis Community
twitches in face?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

twitches in face?

I am sure we are all familar with eyelids twitching especially when tired but has anyone had facial twitches? This afternoon my chin and mouth started twitching like my eyelid does. In the mirror it looks like the muscle is pulsating in my chin. It's annoying and embarrassing. Just wonder is it ms connected?
Beema
It could be.  I had muscle twitching in my face when I had trigemenial neuralgia.  One day my face was spasming such that it made me look like I was trying to smile over and over again.  Lately, I don't see obvious twitching, but I feel like the side of my face is tightening or pulling.
I do think its ms related. I also get spasms if I smile too big or one day I was making silly faces at my grandson and it was like a charlie horse in my face. I thought it was going to stay that way. After I posted I also realize that I get these muscle twitches in my upper arm area and my thighs. I had one on my right thigh last week that went on for hours and actually made my laptop jerk as it was on my lap.  This with my face was just so noticeable that it freaked me out. It has calmed down some it seems today.
I get it where the whole right side of my face moves.  I am on meds for tremors and it seems to help.
I guess I never thought about a connection to tremors. That's a good idea. Will check it out
Hi Beema.

One of the worst MS attacks I ever had was when I had hemi-facial spasms.   It started in my eyelid...and by the time it ramped up to overdrive - the entire left side of my face was twitching.

It lasted 6 months.  To this day, if I smile too hard...my face will start twitching on that side again.  If I have more than just a little bit to drink...my face will start twitching.

In my case, it was definitely MS related.  Eyelid twitching can be a sign of stress though and it can come and go.  We all know what the doctors say about MS and stress.  Right now, my right eyelid has been twitching off and on for over a week.  I think/hope that's stress related.

lol - is it odd to hope that I'm stressed and that my MS is not acting up?!

BTW - muscle relaxers didn't work to stop it.  The meds put a dent in it - but it was a small dent and the Baclofen did a major number on me.  They eventually used Botox to paralyze the muscle.
Jifr, That sounds terrible. 6 months of facial twitching. Wow! I have to be careful when I smile as my facial muscles start to spasm.
I think my ms is flaring as tonight my legs from knee down are numb and are jerking so bad.
Was the botox worth it do you think?
Magnesium deficiency is a cause of facial twitching.  Symptoms that MS has in common with magnesium deficiency include muscle spasms, weakness, twitching, muscle atrophy, incontinence, nystagmus (rapid eye movements), hearing loss, and osteoporosis. People with MS also have higher rates of epilepsy than controls, which have been linked to magnesium deficiencies.
I had Facial myokymia. The left side of my face was raised and u could see slight contractions going on. The neuro said this is MS related and would go away on it's own which it did.
The Botox definitely helped!
this exact thing started happening to me today,  Felt my chin like twitching.  While sitting at my computer my husband said he could see my lip twitching,  it doesnt feel like my lip but then when I got home I felt the chin twitching again and looked in the mirror and  you could see it,  looked like it was pulsating, or something was moving under my skin. I feel like I am anxious lately, so dont know whether to put it down to that,  I will see if it goes away soon.  
I have had facial twitches (on and off) for years. This is directly related to my MS. However, I take Trileptal which is a seizure medication and it seems to work well. However, occasionally when the muscle spasm has been constant for a while I go get a shot of bowtox which stops the muscle(s) and allows them to rest. The bowtox can reduce the spasm for a few months to a few years. Because of the MS all I have to pay is the co-pay on the botox.
I just stated having muscle spasms for the first time starting a couple of months ago.  They started in my upper lip which lasted for a couple of days.  Since then, I've had muscle spasms in both eyelids several times a day, every day.  Occassionally I get them in other areas of my body such as my legs, arms, hands, etc.  I currently have no stress factors since I'm off work and school through the holidays, so I am no longer contributing my spasms to stress.  So, now I recently began to blame them on dehydration or vitamin deficiencies.  However, a balanced diet, plenty of water and vitamin supplements aren't helping either.  I have also started to have spells of dizziness (even vomiting and nausea from the room spinning).  I am exhausted and starting to feel depressed.  I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow and would love to remain optimistic.  Can anyone tell me if you believe my symptoms are caused by MS?  Did anyone else have similiar initial symptoms?  I am freaking out :(
I understand that twitching around the eyelid without other symptoms is considered benign--usually related to stress and fatigue.  

However, you mentioned that you have dizziness with the nausea.  My guess is that you're seeing a neurologist because of having an MRI.  I hope that your doctors will get to the bottom of this.  

Also, your neurologist will probably do a lot of blood tests to rule out vitamin deficiencies and other diseases and problems.  I continually have a vit. D. deficiency even when I take a supplement.  The B-12 vitamin is important for neurological health.  This will probably be tested.  If you are deficient in this vitamin, it could cause an array of neurological symptoms.

I hope that everything goes great tomorrow!  Let us know how everything went!  

BTW, I continue to have eye twitching every day for over a year.  I suspect that it has something to do with the double vision I have.  The twitching seems to be worse when my vision is blurry, but I still don't know if there's a connection with the double vision.  

This topic of eye twitching comes up quite a bit in conversation in this forum. From what I learned on the forum is if you have established MS, the twitching probably is related; however, there are many causes of twitching-- one being vitamin deficiency.  

See this older post about eye twitching with people that have MS:  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/Increasing-eye-spasms-twitches/show/1618774)
Mom was right.  "If you keep making that face, it will get stuck that way!"
:)