Multiple Sclerosis Community
update

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

update

Well thishas been a heck of a week. It started with a very bad uti  antibiotics doing its job but slowly. 6 month tysabri follow up with neuro told her bout increase in pain in legs and some other problems. We decided on baclofen half tab at bedtime then increase to 3 tines a day . I held of on taking it last week because of the uti. I took half tab on thurs night within an hr I was  itchy few red bumps looked like mosquito bites didnt think of anything else. I woke up yesterday morning covered in hives back of my head chest thighs private area and butt . Took 125mgs of benadryl yesterday not all at once. My husband came home at 10pm said we are goung to the er I hadhives on my eye lids my hands were swollen and firey red couldnt put no  pressure on them. I figured the er on a friday night we will be there for hours but I was home in bed in 2 hrs. On prednisone 40mg a day for a weel benedryl 50mg 3 times a day. And the doc ordered an epi pen that I have to carry with me.

My question is I am on tysabri and know  that prednisone dont mix next infusion in 2 weeks I am gonna call my neuro on mon and ask and tell her  what happened with the baclofen and see what else we can do for pain I take lyrica  and klonopin not much help she ordered new mri due to increase in symptoms and I got those results yesterday at the er there was some slight changes from last mri done 7/12 so dont know if she will want me to stay on tysabri or what will ask monday. Just needed to vent a bit. Little scared now to take meds but will get over it.

Kat
Kat, oh my! This all sounds dreadful and I hope the prednison works quickly.  Tell your hubby he did good by insisting you go to the ER....

Tysabri and prednisone together are not a problem.  I had a relapse this summer and started IVSM two days after my infusion.  My MS doc always gives a small dose of Solumedrol, which is much larger than a usual prednisone dose, to his new Tysabri patients.  They get the IVSM in the first hour. Then they get the Tysabri in the next hour.  

His experience says that the mini-dose of IVSM helps the Tysabri get to work faster by cutting any inflammation in our system. He does that for the first three Tysabri doses when just beginning this therapy.

I hope you are less itchy today and can reach your doctor in the morning.
Thanks Lulu I wont worry now bout the infusion. Hubby did good but Think I need to go back woke up this morning with more rash and itchy dobt know what started this round.

Kat
If you're still having the problems, my doctor said that Benadryl isn't the best for hives. He suggests Zyrtec.

It sounds like you need to take care of it right away. Sometimes new medicines will even give me hives on my tongue and inside my mouth/throat and swelling of the hanging down thing in the back of my mouth.

Hope you're better now....
Hi Kelly I did go back on sunday got a shot of solu medrol and increase in the tablets. Little better today but no more rash so scared to take my meds or eat they gaveme an epi pen. My neuro cancelled my upcoming infusion because of the steroids lousy timing going away end of may and no tysabri till June should be interesting.