vertigo MS
Is vertigo normal with MS?
It can be.  Extreme vertigo was what I had during my first major relapse.  Of course, there are other reasons for vertigo.  It's more frequently an inner ear problem.  

Either way, have someone pick you up an otc motion sickness med- like Dramamine or Bonine.  It won't make the dizziness go away, but it will help with nausea.

By the way, welcome!  Have you been diagnosed?
Thanks!
Not officially. I've been suffering, in retrospect, on and off since '97. I'm 38 now, & I went for an MRI in Nov., '12 It came back with lesions, & a dx of either MS or stroke. (My gp and head nurse said that they feel its very likely MS. I'm on a wait list for a neuro appt. which will hopefully occur April/May.
I'm not really thrilled about the wait - I fear that I am losing permanent brain bits with each passing hour. Of course, with the exception of two weeks, I've been highly symptomatic since Christmas, 2011 (went to ER 3x altogether, & was told to c a psych).
I've been to a different ER just before Xmas, as pain and mobility were issues, & the Saint Dr. there put me on Prednisone for a week. Best week of my recent life, btw, despite weight and hirsutism side-effects!
Anyhow, once again, thanks! I was seriously terrified when I woke up and the room was spinning horribly. I haven't done anything since yesterday except crawl to the loo a few times. Phew! I'm relieved that its MS / inner-ears, v. what SEEMED like an earthquake/hallucination!
Most sincerely & thankfully,
:-) :-) Am.
Btw, I'm allergic to any/all anti-nauseants. Oh well... (I'm allergic to a lot of nonsense). But thanks for the suggestion - maybe ill have someone attempt to find me an herbal supplement? Or doesn't ginger help? I dunno... Lol :-):-):-):-) A.
Ugh.
Four weeks of that garbage was what landed me in the MRI to begin with. I have NO idea how I managed to go through school throughout that nightmare.The ER doctors gave me a prescription for meclazine, but I never took it. It probably works fine, but i'm very sensitive to a lot of drugs, so I rarely chance it unless I absolutely have to.I did try the ginger, but there was one thing that seemed to help..and yes, it does sound insane, but..
I had my eyes closed, trying to distract myself from the constant spinning and I was listening to Lisa Gerrard on headphones. In one particular song, she would sing a very slow, low note, and slowly build to a very high one. I would feel something  in my ears, and i'd notice i'd feel more stabilized after she did this a few times.Maybe it was just due to go away anyway, or maybe her music really is good for the ears on several levels.
Hi there,

Dizziness and vertigo are quite common for many conditions, both are sx's of MS, though i wouldn't say its particularly common. I did find a couple of quotes from reliable sources, that you might like to read....

"Dizziness is a common symptom of MS. People with MS may feel off balance or lightheaded. Much less often, they have the sensation that they or their surroundings are spinning -- a condition known as vertigo.

These symptoms are due to lesions—damaged areas—in the complex pathways that coordinate visual, spatial, and other input to the brain needed to produce and maintain equilibrium."

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/about-multiple-sclerosis/what-we-know-about-ms/symptoms/dizziness--vertigo/index.aspx

________________________

"Vertigo is a distressing condition where you feel either you or your environment is moving. Research suggests that about 20% of people with MS will be affected with vertigo at some time.

What causes vertigo?
Our ability to feel orientated while stationary or moving, relies on the complex interaction of a variety of sensory systems; the visual, vestibular (the balance systems in the inner ear including an area called the labyrinths) and somatosensory systems (the information from movement, touch and joint sensors throughout our body). When we turn our head, our eyes, neck muscle sensors and two inner ears all give matching information to the brain. If something causes a mismatch in the information, it affects our sense of orientation and causes vertigo."

http://www.mstrust.org.uk/information/opendoor/articles/0802_10_11.jsp

The MS trust has a lot of explanations on the other causes which is well worth reading, because it could be from something else too.

Cheers.........JJ
I get it when my neurontin overloads (I've had to increase a dose or something similar) or I am having eye problems.  But never to the extent you have.  The prescription the doctor gave you is for an ear infection which causes dizziness.  Your pharmacist could tell you if it fits your allergy profile, which hopefully you have on file there....
bump
It's not what I'd call normal in MS but it isn't uncommon as a symptom of MS.

Meclazine?  It's an antihistamine with properties that treat the nausea, vomiting, and dizziness associated with motion sickness.
Hi all-thanks to all of you! I've not been on in a few days - the vertigo was gone for nearly a day and I left the House!! Oh joy!! Then it came back HARD, & I couldn't really tolerate reading for a few...

Yeahhhhhh, but still happening. I feel better- somehow?- knowing it's MS & not some stupid Extra thing wrong with me, if that makes sense? I'm definitely getting used to it - I'm pretending that I'm on a super-cool ride that only a few lucky "kids" are allowed on at some secret part of Disneyland (dumb, but surprisingly helpful!).

Also, my beloved bf has been buying me loads of ginger pills, ginger ale, & allowing me to grab onto his arm (anytime of day or night) to stop myself from flying off the bed / sofa (I know I won't, but my labyrinth-brain won't believe me).
I'll let you all know when (if?!?!) it eventually stops - such a curious thing...

Oh, & the worse it is, the crappier my vision gets (doubles, blurries), as does my handwriting.

Yeah, I am also coping by A. Playing the 'blind' game, popular with any 3rd grader after reading "The Miracle Worker" - u know, just in case it actually occurs? Then I Know I can get around pretty well!!,
& B. playing the 'My Left Foot' game (to write - the game one would maybe attempt after watching THAT movie).

I sure like games a lot! Much more fun than the "Yikes! My Brain Has Betrayed Me, The Rotten Arse!!" Reality-Show that Attempted to Air, lol...

Peace & love, All...
A.