virchow robin spaces
to anyone who can answer this..

I have lots of virchow robin spaces present on my mri. from what i understand these spaces are not seen on an mri of a healthy brain. is this true?

and can some one exlpain U-fibers to me i have an area with double U fibers does that mean anything?

thank you all
Hi Ambrosia,

I'm sorry I just don't know enough about the robin spaces, and the forum is so active, this went to the 2nd page.

Anyone have any info on these?

hi sllowe

thank you for responding and bumping it up lol
Hi, Ambrosia--

There have been a few posts addressing Virchow-Robins spaces. One was a recent question over at the MS Expert forum: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/743614

You'll see that the jury is indecisive on these.

U fibers are the areas where the cortex meets the white matter, and it actually forms a U-shape at that junction (juxtacortical area).

BioW
Oh...and I've *never* heard of "double U fibers" and haven't got a clue what in the world that would mean. Lesions at the juxtacortical areas are practically pathognomonic for MS, but I've no idea what "double U fibers" indicates.

BioW
From Wikipedia; Clinical significance

While in some people they may be both numerous and widespread throughout the brain and like white matter lesions, Virchow-Robin spaces are not usually present in the brains of healthy young adults. The presence of Virchow-Robin has been associated with multiple diseases.

This space is involved in Perivascular Cuffing seen in meningoencephalitis & encephalitis where there are infiltrates of mononuclear cells.

This came from a site on brain imaging.

Generally, the white matter pathways can be classified in three groups (4). The first group, the association fibers, interconnects regions within the same hemisphere. The second group, the commisural fibers, cross the brain midline and interconnect matching regions of the two hemispheres. Finally, the projections fibers connect the cerebral cortex with the brainstem and spinal cord. Figures 2.2a-2.2c show several white matter fiber tracts that were revealed using brain fiber dissection technique.
Association fibers are formed by both short and long pathways within the same hemisphere (Figure 2.2a). The short pathways, also called U-fibers, connect gray matter of adjacent gyri. (a convoluted ridge between anatomical grooves)

It is not something I understand.  I googled and this is some of the info I found.

I am sure someone on here knows more than I...however in this area they would not have to know much to be ahead of me...lol

terry
hey thanks guys , i guess this was just me attempting to figure things out before my neuro appt. lol

when i said double U fibers well that was because when i looked and saw it there was 2 of them one ontop of the other. which i doubt means anything.