Multiple Sclerosis Community
voice issues

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

voice issues

Hi everyone,     here we go again !!!   LOL

I was re-reading my info from my last neuro's exam, and I saw something on it that I had not noticed before.  I have been having this hoarse voice off and on for some time.  It sounds like I have a horrible throaty voice.  I have been waiting for months, for the cold to hit, or strep throat or something.... but , nothing happens.

This is the weirdest thing.  I used to sing alot, lots of Church singing, and lots of solos, ( pretty hard songs).... and I think I did alright.   Well, for our daughters 30th birthday, she is having Karoake and my hubby and I are doing a duet.  I can't sing, like I used to ......

We are doing the I GOT YOU BABE from Sonny and Cher, and we have costumes, and everything..... some of the notes , that would have been simple and just habit. I can't seem to sing them at all.  I have to change the song up a bit, and I hate it.  

Has anyone else had hoarse issues ?   I am impressed that my neuro noticed it before I did, and I did not even talk to oher about it, cause I thought she would think I am nuts.... ( I still she thinks that though ) ......

thanks for listening,
Candy
Hi Candy,

Count me in for 'intermittently' sounding hoarse or changes in vocal tones, it started before my youngest was born (he's 15 in a couple of weeks) so I was about mid 30's. I too kept expecting to get sick and when it kept happening and i wasn't getting a soar throat or anything logical to explain it, i headed off to the dr to find out what was going on.

I'd actually had throat issues from childhood and into my late 20's, dx recurrent faragitus (sp) I had my tonsils out at 29 but it had never ever affected the way my voice sounded. The dr thought the different sounding voice was because i'd had my tonsils out, the idea was that i'd developed polups but the specialist said no, i never did get an answer for why it kept happening.

Seriously annoying until i got use to it, especially when cold callers thought i was male grrrr and friends and family were constantly saying "you sound awful!" if i answered the phone whilst it was happening. lol weird but when it wasnt happening i could hold the notes, but if it was forget it, over time not hitting the notes and sounding like a strangled cat in heat has become my norm so i dont sing, EVER!

I dont think this is all connected to the other vocal and articulation issues i now experience, it could be but i'm pretty sure intermittently sounding hoarse or experiencing vocal changes is just one of the oddly weird sx's that can happen with MS.

Cheers...........JJ    
Hi Candy...

My voice has been hoarse for a few months now....ever since I started having symptoms....I don't know if it has to do with MS or not...I have had sinus infections that came and went but hoarse voice stays. Some days are better than others, but my voice always sounds hoarse.

I have seen a lot of doctors lately, so I had to fill out a lot of those "symptom" questions...I always check the box for hoarse voice, but the doctors have never commented on asked me about it....

I am 53 yrs old...could it be related to menopause? I don't know....just another "symptom/thing" to add to my collection of "where did that come from" ...Please let me know if you find out if it "means" anything.

Take care..........Laurie  :)