what is difference between muscle spasm and ache?
Is there a major difference between a muscle spasm and muscle ache?  I use the word interchangeably but I belive that is not correct.

thanks
there is a world of difference between the two and once your have a spasm you will know the difference.  Spasms are an involuntary contraction of the muscles.  You have no control over them and what they do.  My spasm spot is my great toe on the right foot.  It will start with a twitch and the move itself totally out of alignment with the rest of the toes.  All I can do is wait it out.  Others here have major spasms that I can't begin to imagine living with.

Muscle ache would be the generalized pain of a muscle.  

I hope that helps,
Lu
yes it does help, thanks.  I think I know what you mean.  I dont have spasms but I have had many twitches so I guess its kind of like that x 100! :)  Does it hurt?
Twitches are painless, though sometimes embarrassing.

Spasms can have you gasping with pain. The whole world stops while you try to deal with it, and often that means just waiting it out.

ess
thanks, I know what you mean, I have had muscle spasms in my life now that I think about it, not as part of any disease process I dont believe, and not with any regularity but I think anyone can have a muscle spasm from time to time right? Yes the pain is very bad.  I remember having it as a reaction to an IM injection that I requested in a smaller muscle then was able to handle it when I was in the hospital.  The nurse agreed but said your muscle may spasm, and she was right it sent me flying down the corridor. That was extreme, but I have had on occassion now that I think about it.
Does anyone have muscle spasm when pointing your feet? Or when your in an akward position? My left foot started to spasm when I pointed my toes years ago. Whole foot would freeze then slowly llet go, big toe was doing the spock sign lol. That toe would gradually come back into alignment. Very painful. Now it's going to other foot too. Must be outa shape.
Muscle spasms, cramps, charley horses, what have you, are both common and normal. If I move a foot a certain way it will go nuts, and usually I'll have to manipulate it manually to move everything back into position. My lesson: Don't move my foot that way!

The occasional spasm is nothing to worry about. Athletes get them all the time. It's not what's seen in MS, where other factors come into play. See Health Pages for more info.

ess
Hi--It's usually pretty easy to "let go" of a cramp or muscle spasm by pointing your toes UP. Jane
Yup - remember that a muscle cannot tense up if the opposite muscle is tensed.  So if you have a spasm in your calf, bring up your toes.  This stretches out the muscle, and tenses up the muscle in the front of your calf.  With toes, it's harder because there are so many different muscles.  My big toe also goes up, so I try to push it down - either with the leg of a chair, or when I'm lying in bed.  
the pain and tension will start in me back then increase  then the entire length of my back will begin to shiver very fiercely until i am gasping with the strength of it. I feel cold but I am hot to the touch but not real fever. when it gets really bad sometimes i can stop it temporarily by having my husband strongly pinch a muscle in the shoulders, but it's only temporary. Once it starts to calm i am so exhausted from it and my back is very tired for a week.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?
I agree with you, i have had 2 MS hugs in a couple of days , i could not get my breath and the pain is extreme. I get spams in my rght foot which also is extremely painful. Wondering if this new symptom goes under the category as a new exerabation? Help please.
can you start your problem with a new thread?  this one goes back to 2009 and many won't scroll down to read your problem because the list is long.
thanks