Muscular Dystrophy Community
Lost almost all muscle mass in my legs??
About This Community:

Muscular Dystrophy (MD) refers to a group of more than 30 inherited diseases that cause muscle weakness and muscle loss and eventually cause you to lose the ability to walk. Discuss topics including Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), other types of MD, symptoms and ways to improve quality of life.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lost almost all muscle mass in my legs??

Hello.

5 years ago I became very ill. I had a right atrial myxoma (tumor in my heart). I went to the RR and crashed for 35 minutes. When they finally stabilized me they told my family I wouldn't live. For several days I had almost no brain activity. They had to keep me completely sedated until surgery could be done. Shortly before surgery I woke up to realize I couldn't move my legs. I was on a ventilator so I couldn't ask why. After the surgery, of the nurses wanted me to walk. I kept telling them I couldn't even move my legs. Sure enough when they stood me up, I fell right to the floor.
It took 4 weeks of in patient physical therapy to even walk with a walker. I lost all control of bladder and bowls so I had to strengthen those muscles also.
5 years later Im just now able to jump up and down and jog slowly. My flexibility is gone. Walking up stairs is still difficult. I am only 25 so this should not be happening. I lost all function from the waist down, in less than two weeks (possibly less since I was unconscious. Im still struggling five years later to return to normal. What happened to my muscles???
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
209987_tn?1334790318
There are certain types of muscular dystrophy that can happen at almost any age, but they don't normally come on that quickly.

I'm wondering if something happened during your surgery, or when they put the tube  down your throat.

Did they stick any needles into your spine?

I know ( from a near death experience with my husband ) that being without oxygen for long amounts of time can cause many problems as well.
Did they do an MRI at any point? Have they ruled out a stroke?
Have they done any testing on your muscles?
A biopsy of your muscles would tell them if it's a dystrophy or not.
Blank
I couldn't move my legs before my surgery so I don't think anything happened during that. They haven't done an MRI or CTscan. I'm leaning toward stroke of some kind. Problem with that is, wouldn't it have only been on one side? What about transverse myelitis? I didn't have an infection of any kind, but could it still have happened?
Blank
209987_tn?1334790318
It may have been a stroke, but unless they test you with an MRI...you won't learn anything conclusive.

I would suggest asking your doctor to send you to a neurologist.
If he refuses, see another doctor.
Ask your doctor for an MRI or CTscan ( just to put your mind at ease if nothing else ).

All you can do now is to find a doctor that is willing to run tests to get you some answers.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Muscular Dystrophy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...