Muscular Dystrophy Community
MORE THAN LIKELY THAN NOT,MS?

Muscular Dystrophy (MD) refers to a group of more than 30 inherited diseases that cause muscle weakness and muscle loss and eventually cause you to lose the ability to walk. Discuss topics including Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), other types of MD, symptoms and ways to improve quality of life.

MORE THAN LIKELY THAN NOT,MS?

IN READING THIS ONE COULD NOT CONCLUDE MS BUT I BELIEVE THAT IT SUGGESTS MORE LIKELY THAN NOT IT IS EXACTLY THAT. WOULD YOU AGREE? WHEN GOING TO EYE DOCTOR APPT. HE WILL MOST LIKELY SEND ME TO NEUROLOGIST?  ANY KNOWN AND TRUSED NEUROLOGIST IN SALT LAKE CITY?....
FINDINGS...MRI OF THE BRAIN SHOWNS NO EVIDENCE OF ANY HEMMORAGE OR ACUTE INFARCTION. NO SHIFT IS NOTED. NORMAL FLOW VOIDS ARE SEEN IN THE INTERNAL CAROTID ARTERIES AND THE VERTEBRAL BASILAR SYSTEM. THE VISUALIZED SINUSES ARE CLEAR, AS ARE THE MASTOIDS. THE BASE OF THE BRAIN IS UNREMARKABLE AND THE PARASELLAR AREA APPEARS NORMAL.

ON THE FLAIR IMAGING, THERE ARE MULTIPLE BILATERAL HYPERINTENSE AREAS DEMONSTRATED.
THESE INVOLVE THE LEFT CEREBELLUM, RIGHT AND LEFT FRONTAL, DEEP WHITE MATTER, AS WELL AS THE LEFT PARIETAL AREAS AND IN THE PERIVENTRICULAR REGIONS AS WELL, ESPECIALLY ADJACENT TO THE LEFT FERTILE HORN IN THE MID AND POSTERIOR ASPECT. THE LARGEST ONE IS ABOUT 6 MM IN THE LEFT OCCIPTAL LOBE. NO ENHANCING LESIONS ARE SEEN.
MRI OF THE ORBITS SHOW NO DEFINITE MASSES. CANNOT SEE ANY DEFINITE ABNORMALTIES ON THE FLAIR IMAGING. ORBITAL STRUCTURES ARE GREOSSLY INTACT. OPTIC NERVES APPEAR UNREMARKABLE,EXCEPT ON THE POSTCONTRAST SCAN THERE IS AN AREA ALONG THE POSTERIOR ASPECT OF THE EFT OPTIC NERVE BEFORE IT GETS INTO THE INTRACANALICULAR PORTION. IT MEASURES ABOUT 3 MM IN DIAMETER. NO OTHER ABNORMALTIES ARE DEMONSTRATE.

THE FINDINGS IN THE OPTIC NERVE AND THE BRAIN CERTAINLY COULD BE DUE TO WHITE MATTRER CHANGES, SUCH AS MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS. NONE OF THE PLAQUES IN THE BRAIN ARE SEEN TO ENHANCE.THESE FINDINGS ARE NOT SPECIFIC AND CERTAINLY CLINICAL COPRRELATION IS SUGGESTED. THE OPTIC NERVE ABNORMALTIES COULD ALSO BE ENHANCING PLAQUE, OR TH4E PATIENT COULD HAVE OPTIC NEURITIS DUE TO OTHER CAUSES AS WELL. THIS COULD BE FOLLOWED WITH MR.

IMPRESSION

MULTIPLE BILATERIAL PLAQUES SEEN PRIMARILY IN THE WHITE MATTER AND ALSO ONE IN THE LEFT CEREBELLUM; MORE ON THE LEFT SIDE THAN THE RIGHT WITH NO ENHANCEMENT SEEN IN ANY OF THESE. ETIOLOGY IS UNCERTAIN; CANNOT RULE OUT ANY KIND OF ETIOLOGY FOR THE WHITE MATTER DISEASE, INCLUDING MULTIPLE SCLERSOSIS.

ENHANCING AREA IN THE LEFT OPTIC NERVE POSTERIORLY BEFORE THE INTERCANALICULAR AREA COULD REPRESENT OPTIC NEURITIS. IT COULD ALSO BE DUE TRO MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, BUT AGAIN ETIOLOGY IS UNCERTAIN. CERTAINLY CLINICAL CORRELATION IS SUGGWESTED. THIS SHOULD BE FOLLOWED WITH MR.
I'm not too familiar with MS, but I do know that with Muscular Dystrophy, vision probelms do occur.
I think that with MS there is no definitive tests to prove it, but when all other tests are inconclusive then they start to look for MS. Everything needs to be ruled out first before MS is diagnosed. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as MS is something I know very little about...sorry.
Perhaps you could try posting this question on the MS boards. I'm sure they could be of much help to you.

Good luck in your search for answers.
Thank You for responding, I wonder if one of the signs of MS is not knowing the difference when reading between MS and MD. J/k I will go to the MS site , first time posting a question and didnt realize Id done so on wrong board. You are right though according to my Doctor that its more a process of elimination. He has pretty much concluded MS and if there is more people such as yourself on here I will learn alot about this new journey. Thank You again,
You are quite welcome, and thank you for your comment.
Most of us on here strive to help as best as we can.

Good luck on your journey.