Muscular Dystrophy Community
MORE THAN LIKELY THAN NOT,MS?
About This Community:

Muscular Dystrophy (MD) refers to a group of more than 30 inherited diseases that cause muscle weakness and muscle loss and eventually cause you to lose the ability to walk. Discuss topics including Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), other types of MD, symptoms and ways to improve quality of life.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

MORE THAN LIKELY THAN NOT,MS?

IN READING THIS ONE COULD NOT CONCLUDE MS BUT I BELIEVE THAT IT SUGGESTS MORE LIKELY THAN NOT IT IS EXACTLY THAT. WOULD YOU AGREE? WHEN GOING TO EYE DOCTOR APPT. HE WILL MOST LIKELY SEND ME TO NEUROLOGIST?  ANY KNOWN AND TRUSED NEUROLOGIST IN SALT LAKE CITY?....
FINDINGS...MRI OF THE BRAIN SHOWNS NO EVIDENCE OF ANY HEMMORAGE OR ACUTE INFARCTION. NO SHIFT IS NOTED. NORMAL FLOW VOIDS ARE SEEN IN THE INTERNAL CAROTID ARTERIES AND THE VERTEBRAL BASILAR SYSTEM. THE VISUALIZED SINUSES ARE CLEAR, AS ARE THE MASTOIDS. THE BASE OF THE BRAIN IS UNREMARKABLE AND THE PARASELLAR AREA APPEARS NORMAL.

ON THE FLAIR IMAGING, THERE ARE MULTIPLE BILATERAL HYPERINTENSE AREAS DEMONSTRATED.
THESE INVOLVE THE LEFT CEREBELLUM, RIGHT AND LEFT FRONTAL, DEEP WHITE MATTER, AS WELL AS THE LEFT PARIETAL AREAS AND IN THE PERIVENTRICULAR REGIONS AS WELL, ESPECIALLY ADJACENT TO THE LEFT FERTILE HORN IN THE MID AND POSTERIOR ASPECT. THE LARGEST ONE IS ABOUT 6 MM IN THE LEFT OCCIPTAL LOBE. NO ENHANCING LESIONS ARE SEEN.
MRI OF THE ORBITS SHOW NO DEFINITE MASSES. CANNOT SEE ANY DEFINITE ABNORMALTIES ON THE FLAIR IMAGING. ORBITAL STRUCTURES ARE GREOSSLY INTACT. OPTIC NERVES APPEAR UNREMARKABLE,EXCEPT ON THE POSTCONTRAST SCAN THERE IS AN AREA ALONG THE POSTERIOR ASPECT OF THE EFT OPTIC NERVE BEFORE IT GETS INTO THE INTRACANALICULAR PORTION. IT MEASURES ABOUT 3 MM IN DIAMETER. NO OTHER ABNORMALTIES ARE DEMONSTRATE.

THE FINDINGS IN THE OPTIC NERVE AND THE BRAIN CERTAINLY COULD BE DUE TO WHITE MATTRER CHANGES, SUCH AS MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS. NONE OF THE PLAQUES IN THE BRAIN ARE SEEN TO ENHANCE.THESE FINDINGS ARE NOT SPECIFIC AND CERTAINLY CLINICAL COPRRELATION IS SUGGESTED. THE OPTIC NERVE ABNORMALTIES COULD ALSO BE ENHANCING PLAQUE, OR TH4E PATIENT COULD HAVE OPTIC NEURITIS DUE TO OTHER CAUSES AS WELL. THIS COULD BE FOLLOWED WITH MR.

IMPRESSION

MULTIPLE BILATERIAL PLAQUES SEEN PRIMARILY IN THE WHITE MATTER AND ALSO ONE IN THE LEFT CEREBELLUM; MORE ON THE LEFT SIDE THAN THE RIGHT WITH NO ENHANCEMENT SEEN IN ANY OF THESE. ETIOLOGY IS UNCERTAIN; CANNOT RULE OUT ANY KIND OF ETIOLOGY FOR THE WHITE MATTER DISEASE, INCLUDING MULTIPLE SCLERSOSIS.

ENHANCING AREA IN THE LEFT OPTIC NERVE POSTERIORLY BEFORE THE INTERCANALICULAR AREA COULD REPRESENT OPTIC NEURITIS. IT COULD ALSO BE DUE TRO MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, BUT AGAIN ETIOLOGY IS UNCERTAIN. CERTAINLY CLINICAL CORRELATION IS SUGGWESTED. THIS SHOULD BE FOLLOWED WITH MR.