Muscular Dystrophy Community
Unexplained muscle symptoms

Muscular Dystrophy (MD) refers to a group of more than 30 inherited diseases that cause muscle weakness and muscle loss and eventually cause you to lose the ability to walk. Discuss topics including Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), other types of MD, symptoms and ways to improve quality of life.

Unexplained muscle symptoms

For the past three to four years, I've been experiencing a number of problems with my muscles. I have been having painless muscle twitches (spasms) throughout any part of my body at random times throughout the day. I would have multiple episodes of twitches throughout the day that lasts a few seconds then would occur again but at another location of my body. My muscles do feel weak at times, but it is manageable and does not seem to be getting worse through the years. Sometimes I feel like my body is shaky and weak especially when I first wake up. There are times when I find myself losing balance when I am walking straight but I have never fallen before .Additionally, if I were to stretch a muscle, it would begin to twitch. For example, sometimes after I sneeze my neck starts to twitch for a few seconds. Or if I flex my calves then it starts to twitch for a few seconds. Despite these symptoms, I am still able to do intense physical exercise (playing sports, lifting heavy weights at the gym, etc). These muscle spasm episodes are especially prominent late at night when I am tired or when my body is at rest. I have gone to several doctors last year particularly a neurologist and conducted a series of tests (EMG, multiple blood tests, and a muscle biopsy). The EMG indicated that my muscles were "weak" and instead of at 100% strength they were at 50-60% but other than that there were no indicative signs of disease. The muscle biopsy/blood tests turned out to be normal. The neurologist says that everything seems to be normal and if I am concerned then I should return. It's been over two years since my last visit to the neurologist and I am just bothered by my symptoms but they do not hinder me in getting to places or in any way limit my daily activities. I am a fairly healthy individual besides from the muscle problems and am still 19 years of age. I've had these symptoms for perhaps 3 years yet I have not been diagnosed with any sort of illness. Maybe you guys have some insight on what my "illness" MAY be and I can further research on it. Any sort of advice will also be appreciated. Thanks for your time and effort in reading this - I know it's long but your replies and support will definitely help me. God bless.
Wow!

Ok, so the tests have all come back negative. Interesting.
Have they done enough tests to rule out MS?
Have you been tested for diabetes? Arthritis?
There are many things ( including stress/anxiety/vitamin deficiencies ) that can cause those symptoms.

I would certainly ask for more testing...including STD testing.
50-60% is NOT good at your age...especially if you're as active as you say.
Keep bugging your doctor until they come up with something.

How's your breathing? COPD can cause muscle weakness and twitching due to insufficient oxygen in the blood.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Magnesium deficiency can cause twitching and can also result in weaker muscles, although I don't know if it can lead to a 50% reduction in strength. You might still try some supplements to see if or how much it helps.

Different kinds are absorbed differently by the body. A kind ending in -ate is more readily absorbed, such as magnesium citrate or magnesium stearate. Most people can tolerate 600mg a day without developing diarrhea. If you do develop diarrhea, reduce your dose.

Our bodies store most of it in our tissues, keeping the blood levels stable. As a result, your tissues can be very low while a blood test shows normal levels. (And so, a 'normal' blood test doesn't exclude a deficiency.)

Our bodies are also inefficient as storing it up in our tissues, so it can take months to rebuild healthy levels. Splitting your dose and taking half twice a day helps. Also, direct absorption through the skin helps, such as taking Epsom salt baths or using a magnesium oil on the skin.
hey guys,

sorry for the delayed response. I haven't been on this site for a while. My breathing is fine, I do however know I have anxiety and it's worse in stressful situations (i.e. taking an exam, or going to an interview). I doubt I have STDs as I had these symptoms when I was 15... Also, I highly doubt it has to do anything with any sort of deficiency because of the extensive blood work I had done. I just recently did the same tests except again from a different neurologist and it all came back normal except he ordered an MRI done on spinal/brain- it too was normal. What he suggested was for me to go to a neuromuscular specialist but I haven't gone yet.. So in conclusion here are my symptoms and the tests I've done:

Symptoms - 1)muscle twitches all over body even tongue,head, rectum (i know it's EVERYWHERE however more prominent at night and at rest), muscle weakness in arms and legs (feels like I have decreased strength), 2)can't find the right words to say sometimes my mind isn't functioning as it used to, sometimes I get tingling sensations (esp when I lay down and try to sleep .. at first I thought it was bed bugs but made more sense that something could be wrong neurologically),3) pain - this feels like muscle spasms as it lasts a few seconds and it feels like "pulses" of pain and occurs like a twitch would  but i can't see my muscle twitching when i feel the "pulses" of pain and this would occur everywhere over my body even in my tongue and teeth. 4) tremors - especially after working out and trying to lift something light I would tremble like crazy .. no trembling at rest though 5)legs feel weak when walking like it would cramp up any minute... no incidents of falling though6) whole neck would twitch (imagine your neck at rest then it will jerk to the side SLIGHTLY) don't think it's noticeable to others but certainly it is to me (this is a new symptom btw).

Tests done - In 2010 - 1)Extensive blood work related to any sort of muscle diseases and others - normal 2)EMG - Normal but showed some weakness .. neurologist wasn't concerned 3) Muscle Biopsy - normal
In 2012 - 1) EMG - normal 2) extensive blood work - normal 3) MRI of spinal cord/brain - normal.

That being said, I hope that someone out there has any idea what is going on with me because i am still VERY young and have a lot ahead of me. I really want some input from anybody that have similar symptoms and hopefully that will lead me to some sort of idea of what my diagnosis could be. Trying to not depend so much on doctors. As of now, I'm trying to let myself believe that it's BFS but yet i'm still not even sure... still researching on the internet. Thank you for your time for reading all of this. Much appreciated.
Just wondering how you're doing.
Have you tried seeing a massage therapist or chiropractor?
I have been having some very ODD issues as of late...went in for a massage and the neck is much better. Apparently I had a pinched nerve that was causing all sorts of havoc in my body. The xrays hadn't picked it up.
They had tested EVERYTHING and had found nothing...I was going insane. The massage helped ever so much. Now I just need to fix my ears and sinuses and all should be good. lol
Hi tq
Hope all is well.. I have a type of muscular dystrophy with symptoms similar to yours with progressive muscle weakness..now at 57 it looks like a wheel chair could be In my future.. there are many types of muscular dystrophy and some of them are much milder than the types that affect some young boys with lethal results such as Duchennes..My particular flavor a type of periodic paralysis. It  is considered quite rare but I personally believe it is not as rare so much as rarely diagnosed.. If I had been diagnosed as a young person and made lifestyle changes regarding diet sodium intake and a few basic medications I might be in a better place today.. contact the nearest MDA and have your doctor refer you . Getting it diagnosed now if you haven't already will help prevent more serious consequences later. You must also be careful with exertion as some of these types of muscular dystrophy are also accompanied by cardiomyopathy and that can be very serious in a young athlete..Some of my friends with this condition have kids participating in sports but you can bet there probably is a defibrillator available in case of complications. I however would seek this sort of evaluation before doing any kind of strenuous activity...kcb
Please help!!!!!! muscular dystrophy runs in my family. My aunt, nephew, and uncle also has it. I am a 26 year old female that is have pains in my legs and in the muscles right by my shoulder blades. The pain sometimes radiates to my left arm. I don't know what to do. Do you have any advice, if so please I'm begging you to shine some like on my situation.

Thank you so very much

Thank you so very much

Also my email address is sommer_c***@****, please feel free to email me any information, you may have on this condition and how to tell what type of Muscular Dystrophy that I have, if I do have Muscular Dystrophy.

Once again thank you so very much. God bless you. :)
Im sorry i missed you request for help.. have you tried contacting the mda.. musular dystrophy association.. have you been evaluated.. your email is not visible to me must be the policy here to disquise them..Im going to review policy here and will add to my watch list.. in case you come back.. I must have missed and notifications.. kattsqueen.. most states have several muscular dystrophy clinics through Mda.. get a subscription to QUEST magazine also through Mda ... google search will bring up your nearest mda clinic.. again I am so sorry I missed this message..katts