Muscular Dystrophy Community
could my baby inherit muscular dystrophy if i show no signs of it?

Muscular Dystrophy (MD) refers to a group of more than 30 inherited diseases that cause muscle weakness and muscle loss and eventually cause you to lose the ability to walk. Discuss topics including Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), other types of MD, symptoms and ways to improve quality of life.

I am about 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant. Muscular dystrophy runs in my fathers side of the family. My two aunts my uncle and grandmother all past from this disease. My father brother and I have never been tested for it but we show no signs of having it. My dad is 53 and still showing no signs. Is there ANY possibility that my baby could inherit this disease? Or am I just being paranoid?
I found this:
"These conditions are inherited, and the different muscular dystrophies follow various inheritance patterns. The best-known type, Duchenne muscular dystrophy(DMD), is inherited in an X-linked pattern, meaning that the mutated gene that causes the disorder is located on the X chromosome, one of the two sex chromosomes, and is thus considered sex-linked. In males (who have only one X chromosome), one altered copy of the gene in each cell is sufficient to cause the condition. In females (who have two X chromosomes), a mutation must generally be present in both copies of the gene to cause the disorder (relatively rare exceptions, manifesting carriers, do occur due to dosage compensation X-inactivation. Males are therefore affected."

So, my thought is that if it is passed down on your father's side, then your father must not be a carrier or he would have the disease himself.  If he does not have it, he can not pass it to you on your X Chromosone and therefore you can't pass it to your child, regarless of his/her sex.  This is assuming your dad does not show signs because he doesn't have the condition.  Perhaps he should (and you should!) be tested to be certain.

Good luck!