Muscular Dystrophy Community
muscular dystrophy

Muscular Dystrophy (MD) refers to a group of more than 30 inherited diseases that cause muscle weakness and muscle loss and eventually cause you to lose the ability to walk. Discuss topics including Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), other types of MD, symptoms and ways to improve quality of life.

muscular dystrophy

My mom has md and is having a hard time to breath, how can I help. Francine
Many patients have found practices such as meditation, yoga, breathing exercises, massage, the Alexander Technique and the Feldenkrais Method effective in reducing stress.  These practices aim to make people aware of how they actually use their bodies and how to improve their habits.

Perhaps your mom's doctor could suggest more.
Does your mom require the use of oxygen tanks/masks? Does she use any sort of inhalers?
My brother was given anti-deppressants and anxiety pills to help him.

When she has problems breathing try to keep her calm and talk her through it. "Show" her how to breathe...breathe with her.

I hope this helps.

This technique will help with the breathing problem. Do it three times a day. Come back to report progress and I will suggest some more techniques.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
August 27, 2011