Myelodysplastic Syndrome Community
post surgical problems

WELCOME TO THE MYELODYSPLASTIC SYNDROME COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Myelodysplastic Syndromes, Prognosis, Questions to Ask Your Doctor and Treatment Options.

post surgical problems

My wife has MDS.  She is 41 yrs old, and has been battling MDS for about 20 years.  Recently, she was having bladder problems and had to undergo a procedure where they fill the bladder with liquid, and check for inflammation.  For this procedure, she was under a basic anesthesia (Versed, I think).  After the procedure, she spiked a fever of 102 by that night, and has kept the fever for the rest of the week (4 days), although it has lowered to about 99.8.  I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?  The dr prescribed Macrobid and she has finished her course.
Sorry to hear about your wife.  I am curious though.  Has anyone ever suggested she get a stem cell transplant?  I was diagnosed with MDS and Aplastic Anemia in January 2010.  I received a stem cell transplant in January 2011.  20 years is an awful long time to deal with the complications of MDS.

Good luck and I wish you the best.
Her Oncologist has never suggested a stem cell transplant.  We'll mention it at her next appointment this month.
My husband (58) has just been diagnosed with Myelodysplasia, RCMD to be more exact.  We are still waiting to hear from the clinical trials place for the Procrit therapy the hematologist has recommended.  Needless to say we are scared spitless and have no idea what to expect.  From what we've read about Procrit, the side affects are so much of what he's already experiencing. Any info that anyone has would be most appreciated.