Effects of Prednisone
I am still on 3 mgs. of Prednisone . I first was diagnosed with Polymyositus 19 years ago after a muscle biopsy confirmed it. CPK count was very high (760)

Dr. prescribed Prednisone and Methatrexate to halt the disease from going any further. I still take 3 mgs. to help with the pain and I am concerned about the efect it has on my bones and other organs.
Hi. Many of the side-effects of steroids are predictable. All are related to the amount of steroid a patient takes in his daily dose, and the length of time the patient remains on the medication. However, with a low-dose steroid, the effects of prednisone to the bones (e.g. osteoporosis or avascular necrosis of the bone), immunity (e.g. increased susceptibility to infections, easy bruising), hormones (e.g. glucose intolerance) or fat (e.g. weight gain) may be gradual. That is why it is important to have a regular check-up with your doctor so proper monitoring can be given. Keep in mind that prednisone is also a life-saving drug, and your doctor should weigh the benefits of prednisone over harm. Hope this helps.