Myositis Community
Nerve Conductor Test

WELCOME TO THE MYOSITIS COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Myositis which is an inflammation of skeletal muscles, which are also called the voluntary muscles. These are the muscles you consciously control that help you move your body. An injury, infection or autoimmune disease can cause myositis.

Nerve Conductor Test

I have been recently diagnosed with Myositis - I have requested a muscle biopsy to determine which strain I have, but the Neurologist would like to carry out a second more thorough nerve conductor test as he says the pain I have been experiencing in the femur musles is not normally associated with Myositis.  I have been on Prexige and now Celebrex and it would seem that the gnawing pain in both legs has subsided substantially.  I am wondering now if the nerve conductor will be a waste of time?  I still have incredible weakness in both legs and arms.  Perhaps the anti-inflammatories have finally started working?

Your opinions on the above will be greatly appreciated.

Hello.

The second Nerve Conduction Study will not be a waste at all. If you have a good rapport with your doctor, please follow his advice. If he is thinking of any other possibility, the test is worth doing.

You may continue taking the medicines, but your doctor is doing a good job with a second study.

Regards
Thank you Dr, for your reassurance.  However, I have a question that has been ailing me since the start of all my leg troubles.  When reading all these nerve related issues - MRI seems to be the No.1 procedure for testing, Why would the Neurologist be reluctant a year down the line to carry out an MRI or muscle biopsy - when all symptoms seem to be muscular related.  I have felt pretty isolated in whatever has been happening to me and just feel the suffering has been too long.  How long must one suffer before the Neurologist carries out the MRI or muscle biopsy?  Should I just wait until I become crippled whether it be through pain or my muscles?

Many thanks
Hello.

I can't say why MRI and biopsy were not considered earlier. One probable explanation to this could be the approach. Some doctors like to approach a problem in a stepwise manner. That is probably why you are being subjected to one more EMG. Whereas others take a more aggressive approach and order more than one investigations at a time.

You just have to take it in your stride, I guess.

Regards