Myositis Community
Polymyositis

WELCOME TO THE MYOSITIS COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Myositis which is an inflammation of skeletal muscles, which are also called the voluntary muscles. These are the muscles you consciously control that help you move your body. An injury, infection or autoimmune disease can cause myositis.

Polymyositis

Did anyone who was eventually dx'd with Polymyositis have just slightly elevated CPK in the beginning? I was just wondering because I have alot of the symptoms but have not been dx'd yet.
Chad
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi. Elevation of CPK is a common finding in myositis, but it can also signify injury or stress to the heart and brain. Polymyositis is an inflammatory myopathy characterized by progressive muscle inflammation and weakness. The diagnosis of myositis should not be based from CPK levels alone; a muscle biopsy, nerve conduction techniques, imaging procedures and blood tests may be performed to confirm the diagnosis. If you think you have myositis, I suggest that you make an appointment with your doctor for further evaluation and management. Hope this helps.