Neonatology Expert Forum
Amnio Results

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Amnio Results

I had an amnio for fetal lung maturity at 37 weeks 2 days.  The fast test results were 22,000 and my dr said they had to be 37,000 for her to take the baby.  I am an insulin dependent diabetic. I never got what my L/S ratio was.  They plans to repeat the amnio one week later at 38 weeks 2 days.  How fast do the numbers go up at this point?  What are the chances my baby's lungs will be ready?  I DON'T WANT TO GET MY HOPES UP TO BE DISAPPOINTED AGAIN.
For any individual baby, the final stages of lung development are unpredictable, which is why your doctor is performing the amniocentesis.  As you may know, the "threshold" for mature lungs is higher in mothers with gestational diabetes.  Infants of diabetic mothers are at higher risk for immature lungs, so the test threshold is higher.  The decision about the right time to deliver your baby will be made by your doctor based on the risk to your baby's health as well as your own health.