Neonatology Expert Forum
Baby's stomach not seen on 3 ultrasounds

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

I am 36 weeks and 2 days along and I've had 3 ultrasounds done. On all 3 ultrasounds my baby's stomach is not showing up. My doctor also told me that my baby has a 2 vessel cord instead of a 3 vessel cord however; everything else is looking fine, including the right amount of amniotic fluid. My baby even has fluid in her bladder so why isn't my baby's stomach showing up on the ultrasounds?
The stomach might not be seen at the time of the ultrasound because there is insufficient fluid to expand the stomach even though everything is normal.  There is a chance that there is an interruption of the feeding tube between the mouth and the stomach (the esophagus) which is not allowing the swallowed amniotic fluid to reach the stomach.  This condition is called "esophageal atresia".  If you make healthcare team aware of the ultrasound findings at the time your baby is born, they can easily evaluate your baby for the possibility of esophageal atresia.