Neonatology Expert Forum
Do all newborns whose mothers are on methadone have to be hospitalized ...
About This Forum:

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Do all newborns whose mothers are on methadone have to be hospitalized until weaned off the methadone?

Do all newborns whose mothers are on 60 mg of methadone daily, need to remain in the hospital
until they are weaned off the methadone? My 20 year old daughter is due to deliver any day, and I am ver
concerned. I want to be prepared as to what to expect.
Related Discussions
527625_tn?1229492858
There is a good chance that the newborn baby will eventually have withdrawal symptoms from the mother's methadone use.  The manner in which the baby is observed and treated depends upon the doctor taking care of the baby because there are many different ways to approach this issue.

The doctor may choose to wait until the baby shows the symptoms of withdrawal before treating, or may start treatment before withdrawal occurs.  To some extent, the treatment also depends upon whether the mother chooses to breastfeed (which is generally recommended), since some of her medication will continue to be passed to the baby through the breastmilk.

Your daughter should have a discussion with the doctor taking care of the baby after the baby is born.  The doctor can perform an evaluation of the baby and discuss the plan with your daughter based on that evaluation.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank