Neonatology Expert Forum
Do all newborns whose mothers are on methadone have to be hospitalized ...

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Do all newborns whose mothers are on methadone have to be hospitalized until weaned off the methadone?

Do all newborns whose mothers are on 60 mg of methadone daily, need to remain in the hospital
until they are weaned off the methadone? My 20 year old daughter is due to deliver any day, and I am ver
concerned. I want to be prepared as to what to expect.
There is a good chance that the newborn baby will eventually have withdrawal symptoms from the mother's methadone use.  The manner in which the baby is observed and treated depends upon the doctor taking care of the baby because there are many different ways to approach this issue.

The doctor may choose to wait until the baby shows the symptoms of withdrawal before treating, or may start treatment before withdrawal occurs.  To some extent, the treatment also depends upon whether the mother chooses to breastfeed (which is generally recommended), since some of her medication will continue to be passed to the baby through the breastmilk.

Your daughter should have a discussion with the doctor taking care of the baby after the baby is born.  The doctor can perform an evaluation of the baby and discuss the plan with your daughter based on that evaluation.