Neonatology Expert Forum
Enlarged left ventricle at 23 weeks pregnancy (8.4 mm)

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hello doctor!
I am 23 weeks and 2 days pregnant and I had a ultrosound today in which the doctor noted: " borderline ventriculomegaly on left side" (8.4 mm); what is the normal ventricle average size at this age? Is 8.4 mm enlarged?
3 days ago a had another ultrasound done with another doctor that noted: "Normal ventricles". Can this enlarge beyond normal occur in just 3 days? Besides this fact found, the baby does not have any other abnormalities.
The next ultrsound scheduled is in 4 weeks time, when Iwill be 28 weeks pregnant. Shouldn't I have another ultrasound sooner? What happens if in 27 or 28 weeks pregnancy this enlarged left ventricle does not shrink? or enlarges even more? (and if presumably there are no any other abnormalities?) Can the baby still develop normally? What is your advice? How can this enlargement can affect the baby on short term and long term?
Unilateral ventriculomegaly (enlargement of the fluid filled spaces in the brain) with a measurement in the lateral ventricle of 10 mm or less can be normal if the ventricle does not continue to enlarge.  That is the purpose of having follow-up ultrasounds: to evaluate the ventricles for any continuing change in size.  If the size of the left ventricle stays stable, your baby is unlikely to have any problems.
A related discussion, Ventricles issue in in 22 to 26 Week was started.