Neonatology Expert Forum
How commen is it to have a baby with 2 birth defects?

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

I'm 29 weeks pregnant, i just found out that my baby will be born with both down syndrome and spina bifida. How commen is that and are there any support groups im Michigan that can help me cope with what I've just learned??
Down syndrome, or Trisomy 21, results from having three copies of the chromosome number 21 instead of the usual two copies (one from each parent).  If the Trisomy 21 has been confirmed by genetic testing, it is rare for it to be associated with spina bifida.  

I am located in San Francisco, and therefore am not familiar with support groups in Michigan.  I recommend that you speak with your pediatrician (or get a referral if you don't have one yet) about local resources, and also discuss with your pediatrician whether it would be useful to have a referral for a Pediatric Genetics consultation.  They may also have suggestions about local support groups.