Neonatology Expert Forum
Mild unilateral Ventriculomegaly

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Mild unilateral Ventriculomegaly

I'm 27 years old. I'm in 22nd week of pregnancy, I just had my anomaly Scan. In this both lateral ventricles were checked , the left lateral ventricle measured 10 mm [ was persistently in the far field and clearly visualised] and the right ventricle measured 7.3mm [was persistently in the near field]. I've been advised to come for a repeat scan at 24 weeks.
This impression suggested of Mild Unilateral Ventriculomegaly.
Are these Numbers normal? Please suggest
My previous pregnancy had to be terminated in 5th month due to multiple anomalies [due to bilateral hydrocephalus, duodenal atresia and congenital heart disease. Karyotype done and was normal. Autopsy was done and hydrocephalus and duodenal atresia were confirmed]

Unilateral ventriculomegaly (enlargement of the fluid filled spaces in the brain) with a measurement in the lateral ventricle of 10 mm can be normal if the ventricle does not continue to enlarge.  That is the purpose of having follow-up ultrasounds: to evaluate the ventricles for any continuing change in size.  If the size of the left ventricle stays stable, your baby is unlikely to have any problems.