Neonatology Expert Forum
Nonvisualization of the fetal stomach

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Nonvisualization of the fetal stomach

I'm 27 weeks pregnant and I just had a sonogram done and within an hour session they could not visualize the fetus' stomach even though we saw the baby drinking throughout to session. They are having me come back in 4 weeks to recheck the situation...but in the mean time I've been doing web searches and completely freaking myself out because the most recent finding I can come up with are from more than 10 years ago and apparently its very rare. Please help
If non-visualization of the stomach is an isolated finding, there could be nothing wrong since the amount of fluid a baby has in the stomach can vary from ultrasound to ultrasound.   Obstruction of the esophagus or gastrointestinal tract is often associated with other findings such as increased amniotic fluid or other anatomic abnormalities.

The repeat ultrasound will help determine whether this is a persistent finding and whether any other abnormalities are present.  If the stomach is not seen throughout the pregnancy, the pediatricians will have a lower threshold to investigate whether there is an obstruction of the esophagus after birth.  If the stomach is seen on a later ultrasound, it is unlikely that there is an anatomic problem.