Neonatology Expert Forum
Pregnancy and Diabetes

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Pregnancy and Diabetes

I am a type 2 diabetic and I am pregnant, I also have high blood pressure and my liver enzymes are a little high. I wanted to know what complications each of these things could cause for the health of my baby and also myself. I am was told by my doctor I am at high risk and was put on bed rest, I am 14 weeks along in my pregnancy and am really concerned.
I'm sorry for the extremely late reply.  As your doctor may have already discussed with you, diabetes can have many effects on your developing baby.  Some issues that might occur include growth problems (either too big or too small), abnormal development of the heart, abnormal development of the intestine, and limb and spinal problems (these last are more rare).  In general, the better that your diabetes is controlled, the lower the risk to the developing infant.

After birth, your baby will be at risk for low blood sugars, possibly requiring extra glucose (the main sugar used by the body) using IV fluids.  If any of the previously mentioned developmental problems have occurred, your baby's doctors will be assessing those problems also.

In terms of your high blood pressure and liver enzymes, the main risk for the baby is if you become seriously ill from these problems and the baby needs to be delivered early.  Issues of prematurity might become an issue.  Maternal high blood pressure can also sometimes slow the growth of the baby.

Hopefully, your health and diabetes management will allow the delivery of a healthy newborn infant.  Your doctors will be weighing the relative risks for both you and your baby as the pregnancy continues.