Neonatology Expert Forum
Prior Marijuana Use before pregnancy

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Prior Marijuana Use before pregnancy

I was a daily pot smoker for about 2-3 months, and have quit using as of today. My question for you is if I get pregnant this month, will the metabolites left in the fat cells, etc harm the fetus? I am currently not pregnant but am considering trying this month (in about a week or so). Do I need to wait longer?
Sorry for the late reply.  The data about past marijuana use and early pregnancy is not abundant.  In general, the risk for birth defects is low.  Continued use of marijuana through pregnancy has been linked with growth problems during pregnancy, and behavioral and learning problems in childhood.  

If you've really stopped, then the overall risk to a baby should be low, although marijuana stays in your body (in tiny amounts) for weeks - months.