Neonatology Expert Forum
Trans Nuchal Testing

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Trans Nuchal Testing

I am a 40 year old woman who will be 41 when this little one is born. My LMP is 5/23/08 with an EDD of 2/27/09. Yesterday 8/5 I had an ultrasound done at my drs office (I was 10w4d) and was told that the baby has a prominent transnuchal so they want to do a level II ultrasound on Friday when I will be 11w0d.  I do not want to have any invasive tests as I am a high risk for miscarriage after loosing twins at 12 weeks this past February.  From this last ultrasound is it likely that I will be having a baby with Down Syndrone? Or should I just not worry at this point?
Thank you for your time.
be well
Lori
Transnuchal lucency is just one of the evaluations that is performed when screening for possible developmental problems in a fetus.  Your level II ultrasound should give more information, and the combination of the ultrasound and blood test results will be used by your obstetrician to evaluate the risk of Down Syndrome or other developmental problem.

Ultimately, a genetic based test such as chorionic villous sampling (CVS) or amniocentesis are the most accurate test for Down Syndrome.  As you noted, both these tests are invasive and carry some risk.  After you get the results of your level II ultrasound, you can discuss with your doctor your desires and goals for this pregnancy and possible options.