Neonatology Expert Forum
Trans Nuchal Testing
About This Forum:

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Trans Nuchal Testing

I am a 40 year old woman who will be 41 when this little one is born. My LMP is 5/23/08 with an EDD of 2/27/09. Yesterday 8/5 I had an ultrasound done at my drs office (I was 10w4d) and was told that the baby has a prominent transnuchal so they want to do a level II ultrasound on Friday when I will be 11w0d.  I do not want to have any invasive tests as I am a high risk for miscarriage after loosing twins at 12 weeks this past February.  From this last ultrasound is it likely that I will be having a baby with Down Syndrone? Or should I just not worry at this point?
Thank you for your time.
be well
Lori
Related Discussions
527625_tn?1229492858
Transnuchal lucency is just one of the evaluations that is performed when screening for possible developmental problems in a fetus.  Your level II ultrasound should give more information, and the combination of the ultrasound and blood test results will be used by your obstetrician to evaluate the risk of Down Syndrome or other developmental problem.

Ultimately, a genetic based test such as chorionic villous sampling (CVS) or amniocentesis are the most accurate test for Down Syndrome.  As you noted, both these tests are invasive and carry some risk.  After you get the results of your level II ultrasound, you can discuss with your doctor your desires and goals for this pregnancy and possible options.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank