Neonatology Expert Forum
Ultrasounds and "Problems"

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Ultrasounds and "Problems"

Hi -

I am an "older" pregnant mom - just turned 42 and am 34 weeks pregnant.

I have taken hydrcodone and ultram (early on) and antibiotics during this pregnancy for everything from migraines to horrible respiratory infections - yes, being pregnant and old is lame!  I have had excellent prenatal care at CPMC and SF Perinatal including late ultrasounds for growth (30 weeks  - normal growth with a little over 4.25 lb baby -- and will be scanned again at 36 weeks.)  I also had a normal CVS.  

My question:  given all the diagnostic tests, can I assume that the medications have not caused any problems?  What percentage of "things that can go wrong" are seen in ultrasounds, etc.  

Just a bit paranoid,
Thanks,
Holly
Given the evaluations and care you've received to date, it is unlikely that the medications you've taken have caused significant structural abnormalities in your baby.  Although ultrasounds are not 100% sensitive for structural abnormalities, the fact that your ultrasounds have been normal so far is reassuring.

The highest risk to your baby at this point is for possible withdrawal symptoms after delivery.  If you are able to gradually wean off the narcotic medications prior to delivery, this risk will be minimized.

I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly!