Neonatology Expert Forum
Very high bilirubin in newborn

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Very high bilirubin in newborn
Our baby had a bilirubin level of 10 at 12 hours after birth. The first test was 8 at only 3 hours after birth. Our neonatologist was aggressive to treat it. ABO hemolysis was the cause. He used light therapy and a double transfusion to bring down is bilirubin (now sitting around 7 at 24 hrs old). I would like to understand - did the spike in bilirubin so early cause any damage to my baby? He has had no fever and seems to be acting normally. Thanks.
At the levels of bilirubin that you have mentioned, it is unlikely that your baby will have long term problems based solely upon jaundice.  The early and agressive treatment by your neonatologist is aimed at reducing the risk for long term effects of high bilirubin levels.