Neonatology Expert Forum
cystic encephalomacia/Hypoxic-Ischemic

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

cystic encephalomacia/Hypoxic-Ischemic

My son was born with his cord around his neck twice. He has been diagnosed with cystic encephalomacia/Hypoxic-Ischemic what is the prognosis for a child with this? I would appreciate anythinh you can tell me about this diagnosis.... Thanks.
This information is from an answer I gave to a previous question about hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy.

Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE, injury to the brain from decreased oxygen or blood flow) that is evident at the time of birth can lead to more lasting effects, depending upon the degree of injury.  In the milder cases, the baby may fully recover and go on to have normal development.  In more severe cases, the baby might have problems with muscle tone, motor activity, or have a delay in achieving developmental milestones.  These may manifest many ways in the first few months, including lethargy, irritability, poor feeding, and decreased growth. Long term consequences may include movement problems or cognitive ("thinking") problems in more severe cases of HIE.

Methods of assessing the degree of injury include physical exam, developmental testing, electrical functional testing such as the EEG (electroencephalograph), and imaging studies such as MRI.

When we discuss HIE with parents, we talk about the "risk" for long term neurodevelopmental problems.  This is because a baby's brain is still growing and making new connections, and the degree of long lasting injury is unpredictable.  Some babies have far fewer problems than one would predict based on the initial severity of their injury, although there are a few that also do the opposite.

Your baby may have already been referred for special services such as Physical and Occupational Therapy.  Generally speaking, these services are a real benefit for optimizing your baby's development, and practicing the prescribed exercises at home can be beneficial for both the baby and the parents.