Neonatology Expert Forum
double aortic arch

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

double aortic arch

my daughter was born with a double aortic arch is this a heart defect?as i can never find this listed anywhere as a heart defect,she has had this repaired when she was 5 weeks old,she is now 6 months with tracheamalasia with her having the double arch will this have any effect on her development,can anyone give me more info????
A double aortic arch is a structural heart abnormality in which the development of the heart results in two vessels that encircle the trachea (windpipe) and esophagus (feeding tube).  Although this problem may not immediately put the newborn in danger, it requires an operation such as your daughter had in order to prevent serious long term problems.

Tracheomalacia (easily collapsible windpipe) can often result from vascular rings such as the double aortic arch because the vascular ring affects the development of the trachea.  The tracheomalacia will often improve over time as the infant grows.  Occasionally, the tracheomalacia will be severe enough that some form of surgery is required to help with it.  Your daughter's physicians will discuss that with you if that is the case.