Neonatology Expert Forum
effect of thyroid antibodies on neonate

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

effect of thyroid antibodies on neonate
I am expecting a baby within a month and have positive thyroid peroxidase antibodies. My question is: do these antibodies pass onto the baby through breast milk or colostrum? Is it safe for me to breastfeed? Since so many of the good antibodies are contained in colostrum, do the bad ones get through as well?

Thanks.
As a neonatologist, I am not qualified to discuss in a knowledgable way the considerations for thyroid peroxidase antibodies during pregnancy.  In general, antibodies produced by the mother can pass to the fetus during pregnancy, and can also be secreted in the breast milk.

I would suggest discussing this issue further with your Obstetrician, or possibly asking for a referral to an endocrinologist.