Neonatology Expert Forum
h1n1 and pregnant

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

h1n1 and pregnant

i was about  7 weeks pregnant and went to the  ER,they said they werent sure if i had the swine flu or flu but not sure so they treated me for the swine flu anyways because i was pregnant,they gave me tamiflu....i wanted to know if there was any risks to the baby from having the flu or from the tamiflu?
I'm sorry about the late reply.  There is little data about the effects of how influenzae in the mother affects the baby.  There is some information that the virus can cross the placenta and affect the baby, but not all babies are affected in this way.  The information about outcomes is also scarce: some studies have suggested the possibility of increased developmental problems while other studies do not confirm this.

The most important thing at this point is that your Obstetrician will be following you and your baby very carefully to see if anything develops that is concerning.  You should let you Obstetrician know whenever you feel sick with a flu-like illness because pregnant mothers are at high risk for becoming seriously ill.
ok i guess no one can answer.....