Neonatology Expert Forum
hypoplasia of inferior vermis with capacious forth ventricle

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Dear Sir/ madam

My daughter is 8 months old and diagonised with CHARGE syndrome. After conducting MRI - brain, her report comes with comment of capacious forth ventricle with hypoplasia of inferior vermis

Request you to clarify about the problem that my daughter can face in future due to this.
Children with the CHARGE association can have a variety of long term neurological outcomes, ranging from extremely good to poor cognitive function.  The ventriculomegaly and hypoplasia of the vermis indicate that your daughter is in the higher risk category for both motor and cognitive developmental problems, but the actual levels of achievement are not predictable.  Your daughter's pediatrician can help you determine whether she is meeting her developmental milestones, and may be able to help make referrals for physical and occupational therapy.