Neonatology Expert Forum
lateral ventricles

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

lateral ventricles

Doctor kindly tell me that what kind of abnormalties can be developed if the size of lateral ventricle is greater than 10 mm. I'm 20 week pregnant and my recent ultrasound shows that my baby's lateral vernticle size is 10 mm. is it normal or there is a risk of any abnormalities in baby.
Unilateral ventriculomegaly (enlargement of the fluid filled spaces in the brain) with a measurement in the lateral ventricle of 10 mm can be normal if the ventricle does not continue to enlarge and no other abnormalities are found.

The size of the ventricle is usually followed using more ultrasounds to evaluate for any continuing change in size.  If the size of the ventricle stays stable, your baby is unlikely to have any problems.
Thank U so much...

I am 31 weeks pregnant and went in for an ultrasound today just to check my cervix but they did a scan of the baby too and found enlarged ventricles in the brain. They couldnt give me any answers. What does this mean for the baby? What is the worst and best outcome for this baby.

Please help.
You should discuss the details of the ultrasound findings with your obstetrician or perinatologist.  Ultrasound technicians are not supposed to comment on the findings since they are not qualified to interpret them, and radiologists are not necessarily trained in the perinatal skills necessary to fully discuss the implications of the ultrasound findings.
Oh they didnt comment, they called my professor down straight away and he confirmed the findings. I am seeing him again tomorrow and have written a list of questions but I was hoping to find some on the net. Most importantly how much can this affect my baby?
It is both lateral ventricles and they are 18mm in size. Could you please give me possible outcomes? Help this is so hard to go through.
A related discussion, Fetal Ventrical enlargement was started.