Neonatology Expert Forum
prominent lateral Ventricle

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

prominent lateral Ventricle

Hello Doctor,

I am pregnant and my 22week ultrasound revealed that my baby has brain prominent lateral Ventricle, my OB said this is not an issue and I should not worry about it but recommended further 3D scan but my appointment is after 2 weeks from now, I am worried if this should create any problems to my baby if did not correct itself as my OB said, please advise.

thanks in advance.

There are standards of measurement for ventricular size on prenatal ultrasounds.  If your Obstetrician counseled you not to worry, it is because the size of the ventricles has not exceeded the size where there is an increased risk of problems.

You have already been scheduled for the repeated ultrasounds which are the best way to follow ventricular size.  The risk of neurodevelopmental problems in your baby is low if the ventricular size remains below the limits of the standard for high risk.  This is true even if the ventricles are enlarged compared to what is expected for the gestational age (and if no other abnormalities are found).
Thanks Dr, just an update I could not wait for my appointment at the hospistal and went to 3D scan in a private one, the result came up as follows:-

Week 23,normal LV of brain, ration 0.25. normal F.spine

Should I worry any more? kindly advise.
There is not enough information about the baby on this report for me to advise you.  It would seem that "normal LV" and "normal F. spine" would be reassuring, but those words are not specific enough in meaning or detail.

If the private ultrasound service provided a report, you should bring that with you to your next appointment with your obstetrician for his/her review.
Hello Dr,

Just came from my OB and 2nd level ultrasound appointements at the hospital.
the doctor said that the baby's vetrical are within the normal size (one is 6mm and the othe is 9mm), no any ubnormalities found in the baby, so advised not to worry and scedualed a follow up US after 5 weeks.

N.B I am approx 25 week preg. now.

What do you think? kindly advise.

Thanks in advance.
Your most recent results, and particularly your Obstetrician's comments are very reassuring.  The follow-up ultrasound in 5 weeks will help in continued evaluation, and will hopefully provide confirmation that your baby is developing normally.  I'm glad to hear that all your ultrasounds so far have been reassuring!
Thank you so much doctor, I will keep you posted of the coming US result.

Regards,