Neonatology Expert Forum
right lateral ventricle enlargement

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

right lateral ventricle enlargement

I had an ultrasound done around 27wks and his right lateral ventricle measured at 11 and now at 30 wks the measurement is 15. Iam very concered and worried what the outcome could be when he is born. I would be really appericative for a response back. Thank You
Increasing ventricular size can be a sign that there is an obstruction to the flow of fluid within the brain, or that the brain itself is not developing along the normal pathway.  Although either of these problems increase the risk of neurodevelopmental problems, we cannot accurately predict how your baby will be affected since babies continue to grow new brain tissue and connections.

After your baby is born, he should be evaluated by his pediatrician and a pediatric neurologist.  Further imaging studies such as head ultrasound and brain MRI will likely be performed to further assess the degree of ventricular enlargement as well as search for any underlying causes.