Neonatology Expert Forum
ultrasound

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

ultrasound

Hi! I am a mother of two kids (one 5 years old and one 9 months old) and I am pregnant in 19/20 weeks. I went to an morphofetal ultrasound and the doctor told me that my baby is ok but on measurement of cerebral ventricles dr said 1.48 cm . in the picture dr's measurement of ventricle starts on the central line of the head , not quite on the spot where ventricle begins - may it be that the dr didn't measure well ? The other measurement: BPD -4.6 , HC-16.42, FL-2.89, AC-14.36,cisterna magna -4.37, hemisphere diameter-2.22 , IOD- 1.16 cm. I AM WORRIED , please try to help me with some answers . thank you so much
I am not a radiologist, and do not have the knowledge to tell you how the measurement is actually made or how it should be made.  There is a standardized way obtaining the ventricular width, and it may be worthwhile for you to ask how the measurements are being made.

Normally, your Obstetrician or Perinatologist would order repeated ultrasounds to evaluate how the ventricles change over time.  If there are no other brain abnormalities seen, this is a good sign.  If the ventricles do not continue to enlarge (or get smaller), this also decreases the risk of long term neurodevelopmental problems.

You will and your physicians will have more information as more imaging studies are performed.