Neonatology Expert Forum
umbilical cord dressing procedure
About This Forum:

Questions in the Neonatology Forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

umbilical cord dressing procedure

I just want to know the procedure done in umbilical cord dressing using 70% alcohol.
and can you help me find theories regarding cord dressing? can you please send me? thank you and God Bless!
Related Discussions
527625_tn?1229492858
Cleaning an umbilical cord after birth with alcohol has been a tradition for many years.  Research studies have shown that dry cord care (no alcohol or other disinfecting agents) can also be a viable alternative as long as you watch for signs of umbilical cord infection: foul-smelling discharge, redness of the skin around the umbilical cord, swelling of the area, or generalized illness in your baby.

Whether or not to use alcohol varies from doctor to doctor and institution to institution.  You should follow the recommendations of the hospital where your baby was born and your pediatrician as to how to care for your baby's umbilical cord.  By following their recommendations, you will know what to expect and have detailed instructions about how to do it.

Congratulations on your new baby!
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, cord dressing was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank