Nephrotic Syndrome Community
can drinking water before urinalysis to check for protein, affect test ...

WELCOME TO THE NEPHROTIC SYNDROME COMMUNITY: This is a patient-to-patient support community where you can find others who share your interest in Childhood Nephrotic Syndrome. The mission of this community is to provide a place for patients and their loved ones to share the best information and support possible.

can drinking water before urinalysis to check for protein, affect test results?

Hello Dr,

I had a UA done yesterday to check for protein and everything came back negative/normal. I had 16 oz of water to drink before the UA test. I was wondering if that would've caused any false negative as the urine might have been diluted. Please let me know.

I requested this test as I found my urine bubbly/foamy sometimes, like in a specific toilet bowl (office or hospital).. at home it isn't bubbly.. So I requested this test to check for protein.

Thanks for your time and advice.
-PS
Im not a doctor but i thought i'd share my experience. I had this happen to me. I have all symptoms of nephrotic syndrom (syndrome) but my urinalysis is normal. I was sent to an internist who said that my urine was really dilluted (i drink ALOT of water) and that can cause false positives. She is now having me do a 24 hour urine sample, which is alot more accurate. I would ask to have that done if I were you.