Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Acetylcholine-dysregulation? Weird illness...

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Hi, there. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm desperate for some guidance.

I'm a 40 year old male with what appears to be some sort of acetylcholine dysregulation. I first contracted symptoms 15 years ago which were both constant tachycardia, very severe depression, nonstop panic and a 'revved' feeling which I assumed was adrenaline.

Long story short no psychotropic medications resolved the tachycardia nor any of the mental symptoms. I tried everything until I discovered phosphatidylserine complex (including ethanolamine and choline) addressed nearly all the symptoms: slowed my heart down reasonably, gave me clarity and I was able to go back to work.

Fast forward 10 years later or about 3 weeks ago I came down with a chest infection and took a Z-pac. The third night of use I was overcome by a panic attack and all of my old symptoms returned. The phosphatidyl serine complex no longer slowed down my heart and my panic returned. However, if I do not take it at all during the day things are worse. It just seems like my ACh is completely unregulated right now. Just a guess.  

Sorry for the long winded post, but: any idea what could be happening? Autoimmune reaction? Why the weird reaction to a med that worked for > 10 years. I have had severe digestive problems over the years as well as a sensitive immune system. I wish I just had straightforward depression or anxiety.
Hi!

I do appreciate your anxiety and stress and your worries regarding the symptoms not subsiding now. Phosphatidylserine complex dampens the effect of ACTH and cortisol hormones which are the flight and fight hormones. These hormones increase the heart rate, cause palpitations and a sense of anxiety, panic, restlessness etc.

Usually either ACTH or cortisol levels are high due to disorders of the pituitary or adrenal gland. This is because in the body ACHT and cortisol levels are inversely related, when one rises, the other falls.  In some cases there may be a rise in both hormones. However, even if one rises, the symptoms you are feeling start. Since phosphatidylserine complex dampens the effect of ACTH and cortisol both, it took care of all your symptoms. Also, phosphatidylserine complex is known to improve the cognitive function and this may have given additional help. When you had infection and took antibiotics, the body faced an additional stressful condition. This probably caused further problems with the ACTH and cortisol level.

An increased ACTH can be due to Cushing's disease, Addison's disease, or ectopic ACTH-producing tumors. A cortisol challenge test is done to find out the exact cause. In Addison’s disease and in low pituitary function the cortisol is low. In Cushing’s disease, ectopic ACTH secreting tumors and in pituitary tumors the cortisol is high. You need tests to rule these out.

Please discuss with your doctor. I sincerely hope you will find this information useful in your journey towards better health.

Hope you get well soon! Good Luck and take care!
Thank you for the response!