Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Autonomic Neuropathy

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Autonomic Neuropathy

I am 37 years old and have been recently diagnosed with autonomic neuropathy.  Prior to this I had a couple of incedents where if I stood still longer than about 5 minutes I would have near syncope episodes.  I saw a neurologist and he ordered some tests, lots of lab work which came back normal, a Qsart test which he said didnt look too bad, a tilt table which came back positive ( I passed out after 8 minutes on my own in an upright position), an echo of my heart which looked good and a brain mri- which I just got results for and it was good news.  I was put on midodrine which has helped some  but has some funny side effects that take some getting used to and now as of yesterday he gave me beta blockers being my heart will race when the bp drops as well as for no special reason either while watching tv or reading.  I have to do a 24 hr urine test so he can measure the salt output and I have increased my salt levels per his instruction.  Problem is, he is trying to see if there is an underlying disease that may be causing this neuropathy, damaging these nerves....im scared.  Could this be serious?  This only started this past December out of the blue.  Does there have to be a serious disease causing this or can this just be something I may have to live hopefully a VERY long life with?  
Dear Friend,
Your doctor is just doing the tests to rule out all the diseases into the differential category. Hence it's all going perfectly.
Please don't worry about any serious disease, as he all the results are coming as normal.
It's just a transition phase, due to which you are facing the problem.
Once this is over, the things will settle along with the medicines.
I really won't be able to tell things as , till now all your results are fine.
Regards.
Thank you for your response.  Usually you go to the dr, they take a blood test, you have your answer.  This is obviously a whole new world that Im not used to and he did tell me in the beginning it could take months to know for sure.  I sit back and worry what if the damage to the nerves contimues to worsen?  Nothing is worse then waiting--your mind and imagination can be your own worst enemy.  Extremely low bp and high heart rate really makes you feel like a different person, I would just love to feel normal again. :(