Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Chiari Malformation

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Chiari Malformation

I had Decompression surgery done in Nov. 2009 for 11 mm Chiari.  Had second surgery done in Dec. 2009 due to a CSF leak from the first surgery.  I have never felt good since the surgeries.  My symptoms are worse and I have additional NEW symptoms.  My last MRI shows a 17.8 mm Chiari...as well as the vermis descending downward into the foramen magnum.  What does this indicate to you?  Thank you. Debbie
Dear Friend,
To be frank, it's not a good news.Since the size is increasing, the vermis is descending down and points towards type-2 malformation. Am really worried about the symptoms it may have, due to the descend.
Please visit a good neurosurgeon if the present one is not providing you the details and the prognosis prospects of the present condition.
Once you have a full discussion, i would prefer you to write it up in this fourm, so that, then i can give you more options or clear your doubt. Presently i have a lot of doubts as how is your treating doctor planing to manage this condition as you have earlier been operated also.
Hence please provide the conclusion of your and his meetings.
Regards.
Thanks so much for your response.  I spoke with my NS and he says that the Radiologist (who stated 17.8 mm) read the MRI incorrectly.  He swears that there is no further descent.  I have more symptoms than I ever had before the surgery...The only symptom I had before the surgery were the headaches and everyone treated them as migraines.  Now, I have pain and constant presuure at the base of my skull, numbness in my feet and arms and at times terrible loss of balance.  I have also has 6 of the horrible headaches SINCE the surgery.  Who should I believe?  I can't think that all these old and many NEW symptoms are occuring if there's not a change somehow!  Thanks!  Debbie
A related discussion, chairi malformatiom was started.