Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Dizzyness

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Dizzyness

I will try to be brief and not go into a long story. I have been to two GP's one ENT and know one one really knows. One said allergies, ENT didnt know.
It started over ten years ago, About once or twice a year I get this very dizzy spell. Takes three or four days to get past the worst and a full week to leave. It usually start way late at night when i am in bed asleep. I might wake up and stretch in bed and feel this pressure in my head then the feeling of dizzyness. Then by morning I have total dizzyness. I cant turn my head left right up down fast with out falling or getting sick. If I leaned back in chair and look up/back that would be instant onset of dizzy.
Well now this week I was awaken by dizzy spell, in the morning I was so sick I couldnt work. I went to GP gave me steriod shot, allergy pills, prednsone. Thought after two days I was back to 100 percent better but then last night I looked up while leaning back and I got instant sick.
I want to know what it is I have, What test would I need to ask, for How to treat it and if I get it what to do to get rid of it as fast as possible.
I have been reading other posts and labyrinthitis seems to be the closet but I have no hearing loss. and this just happens maybe twice a year.
Hi!
If you feel dizzy in lying down position then usually the cause lies in the ear. Dizziness that comes on looking up is a characteristic of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). Usually it is due to a disturbance in the connections between the balance system of the inner ear and the eye muscles. It is diagnosed by the Hallpike or positional test. The treatment includes clearing out the particles trapped in the posterior semicircular canal, and canalith repositioning procedures (CRP). Please discuss with your ENT specialist. However, if you have BPPV, dizziness episodes would be more frequent.

Other than this if you get up from bed in early hours of morning and then start feeling dizzy, then the symptom can be due to a bad gastric reflux. The acid that is thrown up can disturb your sleep and you wake up feeling an empty stomach and dizziness associated with a hunger pang. Follow these instructions and see if they help you:

Drink cold milk at night or take a late night snack. Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after food.

Also, certain postures while sleeping, uneven pillow or bedding can put pressure on a cervical spinal nerve. In individuals suffering from spondylitis this can cause dizziness once in a while. Since you notice it after you have gone to bed, this aspect should be looked int. Another possibility is sleep apnea. It can also be benign intracranial hypertension which results from poor CSF absorption. However, this is usually accompanied by a headache.
Another possibility is a very low blood sugar. If there are long gaps between dinner and breakfast then you can have low blood sugar in the early hours of morning.

Since the episodes happen only once or twice a year, please consult your GP and ENT specialist when you have the episode. Also log in your food and daily routine prior to the dizziness episode. Maybe you will see some correlation, especially if the symptoms are related to food allergies or seasonal allergies.

A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Good Luck and take care!