Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
Frequent strangulation inducing brain damage
About This Forum:

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Frequent strangulation inducing brain damage

I've recently been participating in jujitsu, where a common choking technique involves applying pressure to the neck region and blocking blood circulation (carotid arteries and jugular veins) to and from the brain. The choke is applied until an opponent either signals defeat or if the opponent loses consciousness. The choke usually lasts for 5 seconds, and 90% of the time, the choke is released before loss of consciousness.(http://judoinfo.com/chokes4.htm figure 2)

I've been experiencing headache and drowsiness after being choked and the symptom lasts for roughly a day or two, however everything is back to normal within a week (usually 3 to 4 days at most). My symptoms seem to interfere with my ability to engage in high cognitive tasks (analysis neuronal spike data using MatLab). However, I do not feel any motor deficit and I am able to exercise at high intensity without any problems.

I think my symptoms are most likely due to increase in intracranial pressure (ICP) since the symptom becomes more pronounced when my head tilts below my heart. I believe the increase in ICP is due to occlusion of the jugular veins during heavy exercise intensity.

My question is whether or not there is a risk of irreversible brain damage being done due to the choking technique i've mentioned? My biggest concern is whether the increase in ICP be enough to decrease regional blood flow to the point of causing brain damage? As I've mentioned the choke lasted for less than 5 seconds, and my symptoms seems to be reversible in a day or two.

Thank you for your time!