Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
"Global hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy".

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Am not sure if am in right Forum ! But am posting my question anyway.

On 3rd of December 2009, our son was suffering from fever and severe pneumonia. During the course of transportation to hospital, it seems ambulance attendants did not masked oxygen mask properly to our son, as a result they caused lack of supply of oxygen and hence damage to brain cells.

Results of MRI Scan results shows “Symmetric signal changes in cerebral peduncles and putamen diffuse cortical insult in posterior parietal and occipital cortex bilatually". Diagnostic possibility being "Global hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy".

On the other hand, EEG results shows "Abnormal background predominantly theta activity. The frequency range from 4.7 to 7.6Hz. Amplitude range from 47.1 to 141.2uV".

Now, what is way forward for full recovery (?) of my first born ? Are there medication(s), rehabilitation etc in place?

I will appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Regards,
George
Dear George,
Hypoxic ischaemia is caused due to stoppage of the blood flow to the brain.
Recovery depends upon the fact - how soon were the sequence of events reversed???
If the damage is permanent to the occipital lobe, then it may cause vision disturbances.
Damage to parietal lobes causes damage to recall things, affects verbal memory, etc.

A good pediatric neurosurgeon will be able to help you the best as its a [pediatric case and we really need to examine the patient physically to know the extend of the damage. Hence would refer the case.
Feel free to discuss if you  need any of my help.
Regards
Thanks very much Doctor for your advice.

We dont have a single Pediatric Neurosurgeon in Tanzania.

So, am relying on you for help. I would like you to review MRI Scans taken and give your opinions. The problems is i dont have your email to send the scans. My email is gkayombo"gmail.com

May God continue to Bless you on this Humanitarian work your are doing.

Regards,
George